Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Fussy Baby cures?? **UPDATE

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM
  • 27 Replies

Help my baby is almost always fussy!! Gas drops and Gripe water rarely help. He cries like he's hungry but then hardly will eat. He rarely spits up at all. He can't sleep if flat on his back, he will just cry and cry. Will only sleep on back in elavated position (night), and during the day I let him sleep on his belly (in my presence). He burps ALOT and easily during meals. Always is getting hiccups. And he twitches/jumps alot, even if there wasn't a loud noise or an obvious cause for him to have "startle response", it always wakes him, and then fussing starts all over. Rocking helps sometimes, but stops helping when you stop rocking. He takes a paci and it helps, but again not for long. Massages don't help. Baths don't help. His 1 month check up is tomorrow morning, but thought I'd get your advice tonight.

Facts about my baby: 

*He's 1 month old (1 day old adjusted)....spent some time on CPAP after birth, otherwise healthy

*He's exclusively formula fed (don't judge me, you don't know my story)

*His formula is milk based (Simalac Advanced, the blue one)

*He's my second child

UPDATE: Doctor says my son is lactose senstive, and has severe silent reflux. He switched formulas and says if that doesn't help, then he will add Zantac

by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amirahsmommy11
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't really have any advice for you...do you think something might be causeing him some kind of pain? Maybe the formula is upsetting his stomach..I had to switch my dd formula a couple times to get one she would tolerate...shes on enfamil premium....I hope you get some answers at your appt tomorrow!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AubreeGrace17
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to the doctor tomorrow about switching formula brands. I had the same experience with DS, and after we switched to Good Start he has done well. DS was also on Similac Advanced. 

brittney28
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:32 PM
Switch to a easier to digest formula, like nutramigen from enfimil...also sounds like baby might have reflex...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amirahsmommy11
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Also when dd was that young and really fussy I would strip her to her diaper and take my shirt of and lay her on my chest...skin to skin can be very soothing..make the room quiet and dark they can hear your heartbeat...you can put a blanket over you guys...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like silent reflux. Get him checked ASAP as it can cause damage if not treated properly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EmEssaDuaa
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was the same went to the doctor and found out he has acid reflu horribly! The best thing is to swtich formulas.. We are on soy and doing great! He was also prescribed Prevacid but with the soy we haven't had any problems nor given him the prevacid... I advixe to change formulas and see your doctor... And keeping him elevated after a feeding at least 30 to and hour is going to help him as well.. Good luck mama!

busy mom

EmEssaDuaa
by on Sep. 24, 2012 at 11:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, you might want to talk to your doctor first but Rice cereal in his bottle.. Just a tablespoon also helped him too

calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM
A formula change may help. Does he seem constipated? Swaddling helped my children too. Idk. Both my kids were on enfamil prosobee soy but soy can cause hard bowel movements.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Autumn355
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 1:36 AM
Its probably the formula. Dont put rice cereal thats so hard on their little bellies, its really really bad for them.

Remember "fussy" is the baby default setting :)

Have you tried co sleeping at night and wearing baby in a sling or wrap during the day?

can I ask what your story is about not breastfeeding? Just curious, not judging. Also its not too late to breastfeed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Sep. 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Silent reflux. Call your pedi and see if they will prescribe zantac. I know it's frustrating but just hang in there. You're doing great.... and i don't believe in judging on feeding decisions. I had one exclusively ff and another exclusively bf. We all have our reasons!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)