Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it more exciting to find out the gender at the ultrasound or be surprised at birth?

Posted by   + Show Post
Have you done it both ways? What was more exiting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 2, 2012 at 7:31 PM
Replies (261-270):
AubreeG16
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM
I was going to wait.... but I hate surprises. So I knew what my twins were ASAP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM

People keep forgetting that birth is not a simple thing that everyone breezes through with no problems. I have an acquaintance who was born with an indeterminate gender, and in the beginning he was raised as a girl. Later it became apparent that he was a boy. He is now grown and has a daughter of his own. My point is: you can't always tell what you've got anyway, so don't take it so lightly.

CJTC0911
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM
I found out both times! But I think it would be more exciting to wait! If we ever decided to have a third, it would be a surprise for delivery!!
NiamhWitch
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

We have done both.  My first two, we found out beforehand.  It was awesome knowing, because we could be more prepared and we could start calling them by their names.  In some ways, that almost helps to "get to know the baby" before it's even here.

With our third, however, we wanted to be totally surprised.  We figured, why not?!  We already had one of each, so why not be surprised with the third.  And even if we didn't want to be surprised, baby didn't even reveal the gender to the ultrasound tech at the appt, haha.  Legs crossed the entire time.  NO ONE knew what the sex of the baby was, not even my midwife or the ultrasound tech.  Throughout my pregnancy, my husband and I were *convinced* it was a boy.  We just had the strongest feeling that it's definitely a boy.  Come time for the birth (which is a whole 'other story!), baby was placed on my belly and... IT'S A GIRL! hahaha.  I think there was just something hilarious about being so convinced that she was a boy, only for her to come out definitely a girl. :-P  Little Brigit is now 2 months old.

I loved both experiences.  Finding out allowed us to, in a way "get to know" the baby before it got here, but being surprised was exciting, suspenseful, and well... surprising!  We are planning on having one more baby, and I've thought about it... and I think we will find out the sex beforehand.  Being surprised was awesome and fantastic, and I'm glad we did it that way and I'm glad we can say that we did it, but there was a rather large expense all at once after baby was born (to buy all the specific items that depended on the baby's sex... ie crib bedding and the wooden letters for her name to go up in her room).  I do kind of wish we were able to spread out that cost a bit, which we could have done if we knew the gender beforehand.  So for that reason, I think we'll find out with the last one.  If it'll show us, anyway!

ton1027
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:35 PM
I've experienced both ways and for me, I liked being surprised =).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Millertime77
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

we aimed for the surprise-what is better than to be surprised about what you had.  Our parents didn't know, why should we?  we know so many things in life-we figured that would be the ultimate unknown and it was so worth the wait.  I thought for the whole nine months that I was carrying a girl and to my utlimate surprise, I had a boy!!! Although it didn't matter what gender we had, our child was the best gift ever possible! I don't know why people have to find out. I'm puzzled by it.  There are so many gender neutral everything out there and for the first year, it doesn't matter what color their clothes are! PLUS, the utlrasounds can be wrong-my sister was told TWICE that she was having a girl-they did the room in pinks and purples and only had girl clothes and when they had the baby-SHE was a HE! Imagine their surprise!

Happy_Mcboobs
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

yep, we kept the name a surprise!! It was amusing how it drove people nuts! My MIL would try to trick me into releashing it. We couldn't even tell big sisters--because they would surely let it out for the grandparents! It's fun to keep the name a secret, plus you don't get any judgement about your name choice that way! :) 

Quoting DeeDee205:

We found out at U/S with both of ours because my husband wanted to know.  I wanted to wait till birth.  We compromised... found out sex at U/S, but did not tell anyone name choices till after baby was born.  That was fun in itself. It drove everyone NUTS.

mskitty6
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM

I think doing it both ways would be exciting. I always found out at the ultra sound so we could be prepaired and after my Mom and sisters and hubby would go baby shopping and go to lunch.

LisaSmock
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM
I had to known ASAP!! I'm glad I did find out b4 so I could have his room set up for him when he got home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snowwillow
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM

When I had my son, you had no choice because ultrsounds were only given if there was something wrong. I wish I had known earlier.

We knew ahead of time what sex both of my granddaughters were. Much nicer knowing ahead of time for shopping and just knowing I was having a granddaughter made me smile. (if it was a boy I'd still be smiling).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)