Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Pacifiers?

Posted by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM
  • 54 Replies

No bashing please :) 

Our daughter was born yesterday! She's doing great and her doctor said she's perfectly healthy.

Well I'm wondering about pacifiers. My first daughter refused to take one which made me so happy. This baby hasn't really decided if she wants to take one or not. She sucks on her thumb sometimes. I'm wondering if I should give her a pacifier or not. I really don't want her sucking her thumb because I've heard that's a hard thing to get them to stop doing. So I'm wanting to know how many of you ladies have kids that take pacifiers. Do they take it constantly or only at certain times? Are there any risks involved? I've heard it can mess up their teeth.

Also, for those of you that have had kids that used pacifiers, how hard was it to break them of it?  

by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:17 PM
I cant answer those questions because my baby never wanted 1 thank goodness! lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lammertc
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yea my first daughter refused to take one. I was so happy about that.

Quoting Nicki1995:

I cant answer those questions because my baby never wanted 1 thank goodness! lol

CafeMom Tickers
1CrazyCajun
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I gave my son one. He took it when he wasn't hungry, but wanted to suck and when he was fussy. It helped to calm him. He spit it out around 3 1/2 months and wouldn't take it back.

Mainstream Moms Attached Parenting not quite your style. Are you more laid back?Come join other like minded moms. No pi*sing matches here.

susie3g
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:33 PM
My daughter uses one. She's almost 3 months old now. She takes it during the day but she doesn't want it at night. It's supposed to (I hear) help lower the risks of SIDS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gavin423
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I let my first have it at the hospital. He used it pretty much for sleeping and car rides but did occasionally sit around playing with it in his mouth.

My second, I waited until she'd gotten back to her birth weight. She was a strong nurser so I started letting her have it when I couldn't be there - car rides and when I was busy and such. She pretty much just used it when she was trying to sooth or sleep.

My oldest has very straight teeth and my youngest only has 4 top and 3 bottom teeth but they are pretty straight, lol.

I didn't break either one. My oldest dropped the habit on his own around...9-10 months, I believe. My daughter dropped hers somewhere between 6-8 months, I believe.

TheMommaJessie
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM

it is up to you. it is probably easier to break them from the pacifier instead of thumb I haven't broke my son from his pacifier yet.

Salem2012
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:42 PM

My son didnt want his ever.

zmans_mommy
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM
Zach's a thumb sucker, only does it when he's tired.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Oct. 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Well both can be hard to take away. It really depends how how much you give the pacifier and push for them to stop sucking there thumb.

There are risks of it coming off and them chocking on it. This is more when they are older and have teeth and chew on them. With both there can be teeth issues. Especially if it runs in the family. There are ups and downs to both. You just need to decide what is best for you and your family.

Everyone feels so differently about it. I personally don't like them. ll my girls have sucked there thumb. We never made it a big issue about them sucking there thumb. My first sucked her thumb for 6 months. Stopped right after turning one. My second stopped at 2 years old. Our 22 months old only does know when she is tired, scared, stressed about what may be going on. She no longer sucks it like she did when she was younger. So I can tell she will not be doing it much longer.

MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM
I've given both my boys pacis. My oldest is 7 now. It did not mess up his teeth. After 14 months he was only allowed tobuse it at night. Before then he would happily keep it in his mouth all day. It was only tough taking it away at night. My bewest is 3 months and he only wants his paci at nap time. Not when he's awake or at night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN