Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

New mom issues

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM
  • 12 Replies
Im a mother of a one month old who is very active and has barely been sleeping at night or during the day. She cries constantly when she is tired but does not fall asleep. My mom suggests giving her water mixed with a spoonful of juice during the day or a bottle with rice mixed in or small spoons of mashed bananas that are practically liquid.
It makes me feel awkward when she gives her anything that isn't formula because I have read that anything more than formula is bad for the baby because she is so young and can cause irritability, diarrhea, and gas because she cannot digest it yet.
What do non-first time moms think and what did you do for a baby who acted like they had colic but were fine? Bc until mom started giving her juice and rice and such she didn't act this way, but bc I am a new mom who "reads too many baby books and doesn't know what she is doing" mom won't listen to me when I ask her not to give her anything but formula bc her family says she needs more and she says that her children (including me) always had more when we were little. So what do the BTDT (been there done that) moms think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You are right, she doesn't need anything else but formula and it can be dangerous....and if she was fine before your mom started giving her the other things then that is most likely the cause of her discomfort. Stand your ground, just becuase you're a new mom doesn't void the fact that you are the mom.

ZakkarysMom
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 6:17 PM
Yeah babies at this age only need formula. Nothing else. I dont know anyone that attempted to give a 1 month old rice cereal or juice. Ive heard of doing that around 3 or 4 months but I didnt do that myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Your right a baby that age dosn't need anything but formula or breastmilk.  Giving a baby that young water or juice can cause water intoxication which can be very serrious or even deadly.  Giving cereal or any solids is also a bad idea, it can cause serrious digestive issues and allergies both now and later in your childs life.  Wait until 6 months to offer any of these things and tell your mom thanks but no thanks on her advice and if she persists, stand your groud and tell her she's your baby and you don't want her given anything but formula.

Marimaru
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

My mom wouldn't be watching my baby if she couldn't respect my wishes as the parent, period.  Get something from your baby's doctor that says only formula or breastmilk and give it to your mom.  "I did it with you and you are fine" is not a valid reason to do something.

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:18 PM
You need to tell your mother no then. Your the mother, so you decide what to give your baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erica7227
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:20 PM
Your mom is being ridiculous. Invest in an exercise ball & gently bounce on it while holding her. Also, she may have gas, get some infant gas relief drops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyhonu
by Mary on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

agreed ... anything other than formula (or breastmilk) is really hard on baby's tummy.

Quoting lauratupper:

You are right, she doesn't need anything else but formula and it can be dangerous....and if she was fine before your mom started giving her the other things then that is most likely the cause of her discomfort. Stand your ground, just becuase you're a new mom doesn't void the fact that you are the mom.

wonderwomanT08
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2012 at 7:26 PM
its not just in the baby books. I as a licensed provider would get in trouble. Babies always have a reason for crying. Rock and bounce her as much as you can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:07 PM

No body would give my child anything I didn't want them to,  How come your mother doesn't see you as an actual adult and the actual mother of that child is the real question,  

I have 3 adult sons who don't have kids but are old enough to easily and I would NEVER do anything like that.  My eldest who is 27 never got that crap at 1 month old.

Sorry no advise because if it where me should would of done it once and I would NEVER allow her to be alone with the child again until MY RULES where followed.

MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM
The rice and bananas are making her tummy hurt! New mom or not you know what is best for your baby.... so save her from grandma immediately! We have learned a lot more about babies needs since we were nabies. I too had to educate my MIL about the dangers of giving food too early. Her excuse was.... i gave Colton (dh) food earlier than this. My rebuttle.... he also had bleeding ulcers
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)