Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

10month old having WORST Seperation Anxiety! HELP!!!

Posted by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM
  • 11 Replies
My 10 month old DD is all of a sudden having the worst seperation anxiety. She freaks out if I leave the room and sometimes even if I'm in the rOom, if I'm not holding her-total meltdown. Not just fussing, but bawling, red face, trying to catch her breath. I'm trying to not give in and pick her up but it just goes on and on and breaks my heart!

She's a total daddy's girl but for some reason tonight she had to have mommy holding her or she freaked. Also, past 2 nights she has been Having major issues falling asleep. She finally let her daddy rock her to bed tonight after clinging to me and freaking when I left the room. She's not cutting any new teeth that I can see (but she never acted like this before when she was teething). She hasn't really started crawling and not walking yet.

I am a stay at home mommy but when daddy is home, which he works in a restaraunt so 3 out of the 5 shifts are at night so he's usually with her from the time she gets up until the time he leaves at 4pm. And the 2 days he has off is usually always spent as a family. So she gets plenty of daddy time!
Before this started I remember reading/hearing that it's just a stage yadda yadda but never really read the articles in depth so any advice would be so appreciated!! Thank you so much!
by on Oct. 5, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
The best way to help a child with the extremely normal phase of separation anxiety is to reassure them and hold them. Not picking her up is going to prolong this stage. It's not like she's throwing a tantrum and should be ignored, she's recently realized that you two are separate beings and it's terribly frightening, so she's needing tons of reassurance that you'll still be there even though you are separate from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Oct. 5, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Exactly this. Dd went through this around 10 months old as well. Trust me, it became a pain in the butt, but when she got scared, I'd hold her and reassure her. Eventually she got over it, became more secure and no longer has problems with it. It was just a phase, instead of it turning into a problem by not holding her when she needed it.

Quoting larissalarie:

The best way to help a child with the extremely normal phase of separation anxiety is to reassure them and hold them. Not picking her up is going to prolong this stage. It's not like she's throwing a tantrum and should be ignored, she's recently realized that you two are separate beings and it's terribly frightening, so she's needing tons of reassurance that you'll still be there even though you are separate from her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lauratupper
by on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Quoting larissalarie:

Salem2012
by Anais on Oct. 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM

My son is doing the same thing with the separation anxiety :/

kryysteez
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 12:08 AM

sounds like she had some vaccines lately.  They can totally ruin a childs behavior and health.  You should research them.  Non-vaccinated children are FAR healthier and happier.  Vaccines are LOADED with toxic chemicals and diseases not meant for humans.  America has the sickest people and we vaccinate the most and thats where it comes from, right at birth.  Pathetic....

AviannasMama
by Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM
Quoting kryysteez:

sounds like she had some vaccines lately.  They can totally ruin a childs behavior and health.  You should research them.  Non-vaccinated children are FAR healthier and happier.  Vaccines are LOADED with toxic chemicals and diseases not meant for humans.  America has the sickest people and we vaccinate the most and thats where it comes from, right at birth.  Pathetic....

Lol yeah I'll get right on that...
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 10:52 AM

This  :)  And she will grow out of it, but you need to give it time.

Quoting larissalarie:

brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Comfort her, don't ignore her. She needs to know you're always going to be there. This phase will be shorter if you comfort her.
brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this
You're joking, right? While I agree everyone should do their research, EVERY kid goes through seperation anxiety. My kid is fully vaccinated and has never had a change in behavior after.her shots. Stop trying to shove your practices down others throats. You're the pathetic one.

Quoting kryysteez:

aimesnyc
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree, people should do their research.  For example, do you have any research on Non-Vax children being healthier and happier?  Because I gotta say that my almost 1 year old, who has been vaxed, is an extremely happy baby who hasn't really gone through separation anxiety.  He's very social, healthy, smart and good-natured - an I'm pretty sure there are babies similar to my son that have been both vaxed and not.

Let's just try helping her with her child instead of turning it into a debate, shall we?

OP - I wish I had some advice, but fortunately I haven't had to deal with too much SA (yet).  Maybe keep talking to her when you leave the room, etc?  And hold her when you can?

Quoting kryysteez:

Some mothers are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same, and most mothers kiss and scold together.  ~Pearl S. Buck

When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts.  A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.  ~Sophia Loren, Women and Beauty

One should examine oneself for a very long time before thinking of condemning others.  ~Moliere

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)