Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
Who all has had a successful VBAC? Has anyone had an unsuccessful VBAC? Im kind of nervous for my next pregnancy because i want to have vaginal birth, but i dont know how it will happen this time if i couldnt have vaginal last time. I was too tight for vaginal birth. The doctor could only get 1 finger in to check dialation because he couldnt even force 2 in. It was very painful. I didnt even dialate but 2 cm. My water didnt break and he couldnt even break it. Would all this change with the next pregnancy? Im nervous to even get pregnant again because i DONT want another c section...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Replies (41-44):
Marimaru
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:26 PM

I exercised 3 times a week up until 1 week before the baby was born, and then honestly I didn't do much actively until after she was born.  I had some false labor on a Thursday night, and then went into real labor on Saturday morning around 2am.  At least that's when the contractions were waking me up.  They were 30 minutes apart at that point, and getting closer together slowly over the time.  I labored at home until the contractions were about 6 minutes apart, which was about 1:30pm on the Saturday.  That was the point at which I felt like I didn't want to have too many contractions in the car.  At some point in there I asked my mom why I wanted to do it this way (A joke, since I hadn't been in labor the first time, and didn't know what I was getting into). 

At the hospital I got some pain meds to take the edge off.  Right about the time it seemed like those were no longer working, the doctor mentioned breaking my water in a little while.  I told the nurse I wanted an epidural before they broke my water, since I had heard that contractions get more intense once that is done.  The nurse came back in and says "Well, there's good news, and there's bad news.  The good news is, you handle contractions really well.  The bad news is, there's a woman who's dialated to 9cm, so they are doing her epidural first."  So, that was the situation there, so I waited a while longer.  Finally they came in and checked my cervix (7cm, oh, it had been 2.5 Friday, and 5cm when I was admitted in the hospital), and then did the epidural.  I don't know what time that was finally, or how long it took, but she had to poke my back 8 times and I had to sit still during the contractions while she did that.  To say it wasn't pleasant, well, that's a bit of an understatement.  Once the epi took though, I didn't feel anything.  I talked to the nurse about wanting to feel pushing and whatnot, and she kind of brushed me off.  Fortunately the nurse that relieved her came and and said "I don't want you to be in pain, but I want you to feel some of this".  I thanked her and told her that's what I had wanted all along.  I forgot to mention when they broke my water they put in internal monitors because my daughters heartrate was dipping enough that they wanted to watch it, but not enough that they were crazy worried about it.

So then I started feeling the contractions as pressure and started feeling like I could push.  I apparently missed the part where I was supposed to call the nurse when I could feel stuff (and my husband did too, we both assumed she'd come back and check in a little while), so when she came back and asked, I told her I had been for a while.  Apparently 2 other people were ready to give birth.  I told her I was fine where I was for a while, but the doctor came in a few later because I was fully dialated and ready to go. 

They set up a mirror so that I could see what I was doing.  If you'd asked me before hand, I would have said I didn't want one, but I'm glad it was there.  It helped me know what to do (things that made baby move forward) and things not to do between pushes (like things that made her go back in a little when the push was over).  My daughter has a crazy amount of hair, so that's the first thing anyone saw.  I pushed for a bit, and then her head came out.  The cord was around her neck twice, which the doctor took care of really quickly and wasn't an issue at all.  Then one more push after that and she was out.  25 minutes total pushing.  I had a 2nd degree tear that require some stitches, which wasn't comfortable, but still wasn't a c-section.

One of the biggest thing my husband says about it was how much better I looked right after, vs my c-section.  I still looked like hell like a week later, and I looked better within hours of giving birth. 

Let me know if you have any questions about anything I may have missed.

Quoting Nicki1995:

Yes, i was induced. And honestly, i would love to know everything about your VBAC. Were you dcared? Any complications? Did you go into labor on your own or did you naturally induce (walking, laxative, ect)? If you would like, you can pm me =]

Quoting Marimaru:

I had a c-section with my first because she was breech. 

I had a vbac 9 weeks ago that was very successful.  She was 9lbs 12 oz, and it wasn't a problem.

Were you induced with your first?  Induction can be a big reason for a vaginal birth to 'fail'.  My doctor will not induce a VBAC patient because it highly increases the chances of ending up with a c-section.  Valerie was born at 40w 2 days.  Let me know if you want any more specific details.

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 7:51 PM
Wow. That sounds amazing! =] How long did you wait after your csection to get pregnant again and try VBAC?

Quoting Marimaru:

I exercised 3 times a week up until 1 week before the baby was born, and then honestly I didn't do much actively until after she was born.  I had some false labor on a Thursday night, and then went into real labor on Saturday morning around 2am.  At least that's when the contractions were waking me up.  They were 30 minutes apart at that point, and getting closer together slowly over the time.  I labored at home until the contractions were about 6 minutes apart, which was about 1:30pm on the Saturday.  That was the point at which I felt like I didn't want to have too many contractions in the car.  At some point in there I asked my mom why I wanted to do it this way (A joke, since I hadn't been in labor the first time, and didn't know what I was getting into). 

At the hospital I got some pain meds to take the edge off.  Right about the time it seemed like those were no longer working, the doctor mentioned breaking my water in a little while.  I told the nurse I wanted an epidural before they broke my water, since I had heard that contractions get more intense once that is done.  The nurse came back in and says "Well, there's good news, and there's bad news.  The good news is, you handle contractions really well.  The bad news is, there's a woman who's dialated to 9cm, so they are doing her epidural first."  So, that was the situation there, so I waited a while longer.  Finally they came in and checked my cervix (7cm, oh, it had been 2.5 Friday, and 5cm when I was admitted in the hospital), and then did the epidural.  I don't know what time that was finally, or how long it took, but she had to poke my back 8 times and I had to sit still during the contractions while she did that.  To say it wasn't pleasant, well, that's a bit of an understatement.  Once the epi took though, I didn't feel anything.  I talked to the nurse about wanting to feel pushing and whatnot, and she kind of brushed me off.  Fortunately the nurse that relieved her came and and said "I don't want you to be in pain, but I want you to feel some of this".  I thanked her and told her that's what I had wanted all along.  I forgot to mention when they broke my water they put in internal monitors because my daughters heartrate was dipping enough that they wanted to watch it, but not enough that they were crazy worried about it.

So then I started feeling the contractions as pressure and started feeling like I could push.  I apparently missed the part where I was supposed to call the nurse when I could feel stuff (and my husband did too, we both assumed she'd come back and check in a little while), so when she came back and asked, I told her I had been for a while.  Apparently 2 other people were ready to give birth.  I told her I was fine where I was for a while, but the doctor came in a few later because I was fully dialated and ready to go. 

They set up a mirror so that I could see what I was doing.  If you'd asked me before hand, I would have said I didn't want one, but I'm glad it was there.  It helped me know what to do (things that made baby move forward) and things not to do between pushes (like things that made her go back in a little when the push was over).  My daughter has a crazy amount of hair, so that's the first thing anyone saw.  I pushed for a bit, and then her head came out.  The cord was around her neck twice, which the doctor took care of really quickly and wasn't an issue at all.  Then one more push after that and she was out.  25 minutes total pushing.  I had a 2nd degree tear that require some stitches, which wasn't comfortable, but still wasn't a c-section.

One of the biggest thing my husband says about it was how much better I looked right after, vs my c-section.  I still looked like hell like a week later, and I looked better within hours of giving birth. 

Quoting Nicki1995:

Yes, i was induced. And honestly, i would love to know everything about your VBAC. Were you dcared? Any complications? Did you go into labor on your own or did you naturally induce (walking, laxative, ect)? If you would like, you can pm me =]

Quoting Marimaru:

I had a vbac 9 weeks ago that was very successful.  She was 9lbs 12 oz, and it wasn't a problem.

Were you induced with your first?  Induction can be a big reason for a vaginal birth to 'fail'.  My doctor will not induce a VBAC patient because it highly increases the chances of ending up with a c-section.  Valerie was born at 40w 2 days.  Let me know if you want any more specific details.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Marimaru
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:05 PM

My oldest was born 10/11/09, and I found I was pregnant with Valerie in November of 2011.  I had my IUD removed in August of 2011.  I can't believe Isabelle is going to be THREE on Thursday!

The experience was totally amazing, and I can't tell you what a feeling I got from it.  When I had Isabelle I honestly was prepared for the idea of going into labor and ending up needing a c-section because that happened to my mom with me, and my sister with her first, and my other sister was literally minutes away from being told she was going to need a c-section before she got to the pushing stage with her first.  But at 38 weeks I was told I would need a c-section because she was breech and I had it 5 days later.  I really mourned not going into labor and experiencing all of those pieces.  This time I got to do all of that, and kind of an extra pride moment when people's eyes go wide when I say that she was 9lbs 12oz AND a VBAC, even though that's not really something I had control over :).  There was a deeper connection to the birth experience in my opinion also that is different from a c-section.  Not that my bond from Isabelle is different, but, I suppose you could say my bond to the birthing experience.  Probably that doesn't make sense, lol.

Quoting Nicki1995:

Wow. That sounds amazing! =] How long did you wait after your csection to get pregnant again and try VBAC?

Quoting Marimaru:

Quoting Nicki1995:

Quoting Marimaru:

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:18 PM
Wow. What you told me makes me really excited to try VBAC. And yeah, it does kind of make sense. Im sure i will understand better after a successful VBAC though =]

Quoting Marimaru:

My oldest was born 10/11/09, and I found I was pregnant with Valerie in November of 2011.  I had my IUD removed in August of 2011.  I can't believe Isabelle is going to be THREE on Thursday!

The experience was totally amazing, and I can't tell you what a feeling I got from it.  When I had Isabelle I honestly was prepared for the idea of going into labor and ending up needing a c-section because that happened to my mom with me, and my sister with her first, and my other sister was literally minutes away from being told she was going to need a c-section before she got to the pushing stage with her first.  But at 38 weeks I was told I would need a c-section because she was breech and I had it 5 days later.  I really mourned not going into labor and experiencing all of those pieces.  This time I got to do all of that, and kind of an extra pride moment when people's eyes go wide when I say that she was 9lbs 12oz AND a VBAC, even though that's not really something I had control over :).  There was a deeper connection to the birth experience in my opinion also that is different from a c-section.  Not that my bond from Isabelle is different, but, I suppose you could say my bond to the birthing experience.  Probably that doesn't make sense, lol.

Quoting Nicki1995:

Quoting Marimaru:

Quoting Nicki1995:

Quoting Marimaru:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN