Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What Should I do??

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi Ladies, my 3 week old has diarrhea! She shows a lot of discomfort when pushing it out, and then it kind of explodes in her diaper...its been since last night. However, for the past 3 nights shes been very vocal, if she is not being held or getting attention for like 4 hours straight, she cries and cries-I can't put her in the bouncer, bassinet, nothing..so maybe she came down with something? She has no fever, just diarrhea and cries.

Im feeding her Similac (she wont latch)...She has about 3-4oz every 3 hours (Dr says thats fine)..I called the Dr today and still no call back.

ADVICE?! thanks!

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
kirstina
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

How often is she going? Baby poop can often be runny and explosive with out it being diarrhea.

lauratupper
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Quoting kirstina:

How often is she going? Baby poop can often be runny and explosive with out it being diarrhea.

sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM
She won't latch as in you tried breastfeeding? Have you met with a lactation consultant to get a good latch established? She might have a tongue tie, which is fixable. Join the breastfeeding group they can help you if you want to breastfeed! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2BeAmy
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Ive met with consultants, had a doula, she will suckle 3 times and scream and kick after...Ive tried waiting till she was really hungry, I tried not giving her a choice...doesnt work :( im in the BF group no one really agve me an advice i didnt try ive made a few posts

Quoting sleepymommy87:

She won't latch as in you tried breastfeeding? Have you met with a lactation consultant to get a good latch established? She might have a tongue tie, which is fixable. Join the breastfeeding group they can help you if you want to breastfeed! :)

sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM
How have you tried holding her while nursing? Have you tried reclined or with her on top? Have you read about overactive letdown? Mine did that at first, my flow was too fast.

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

Ive met with consultants, had a doula, she will suckle 3 times and scream and kick after...Ive tried waiting till she was really hungry, I tried not giving her a choice...doesnt work :( im in the BF group no one really agve me an advice i didnt try ive made a few posts

Quoting sleepymommy87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

For breastfeeding try to nurse when she is just starting to get hungry. When she is really hungry she will be more stressed and will cry more making you more stressed. Try to relax and get in a comfy spot with her. Relax if your not relax she will not be either. Wait for her to open her mouth and bring her to the breast. If she isnt on right it will hurt. Put your finger in the side of her mouth to break the suck. Then try agian. It can take some practice but if you want to breastfeed just keep trying and you will both get it.

kirstina
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Oh and the easiest hold for me to use when my babies are little is the football hold. But that may not be easiest for you.
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Sounds to me like your LO developed a nipple/flow preference.   Have you tried an SNS taped to your breast?   Pumping to letdown and then latching?   She's just got to learn that the breast does produce milk, and that she had to be a little patient for it.  

For the diarreah... it's not really diarreah unless it completely absorbs into the diaper.    Wanting to be held constantly is also normal... BUT, if your LO does have a tummy ache, getting her back to the breast and nursing will help.   It will take some work and persistance, but you can do it.  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)