Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

what to feed a 3month old.....

I have recently decided to go green-so to speak-and decided to start making my daughters baby food....what are some good food combinations?
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
ceckyl
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Tht does not mean her internal working are somehow not that of a 3 month old.

Quoting proudmother3905:

Well she's very advanced. Already cutting 3 teeth and crawling for a few minutes at a time. I've enever seen anything like it. I have 3 children. All under that age of 5.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:07 PM
2 moms liked this

At 3 months: nothing but breastmilk or formula.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
3 moms liked this
Just because your baby is large doesn't mean the gaps in her intestines closed any sooner than an average baby. My younger 2 were huge also, born over 9 pounds and practically 10 pounds, 15+ pounds by 2 months, 20 & 23 pounds by 6 months, etc. They still didn't receive solids before about 7 months.

Doctors are NOT trained in infant nutrition. They are trained in MEDICAL issues. They tend to give parenting advice though, but they don't know anymore than anyone else who hasn't researched the topic.

As someone sufferig the lifelong consequences of being fed early solids (that didn't show up until early adulthood, my Mom thought I was "fine" too), I implore you to reconsider. Babyhood is such a short time, so she's eating frequently right now, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be! It only lasts mere months and she'll have a better chance at being healthy the next 90 years because of it :-)

Quoting proudmother3905:

Well for starters, she's a large baby and is never fully satisfied after eating. Her pediatrician even put her on special formula to fill her quicker. Her pediatrician said she could have solids. Just as long as I'm sure to get the appropriate consistency and texture.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elaina_Rose
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I breast fed and started my son on solids at three months he wanted to eat booby milk every hour! I started oatmeal first along with peas my son is just fine and he is 16 months now. Try peas! My son still loves them! My dr told me the same thing if you need any more advice pm me I made my sons baby food too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I started DS on infant cereal at 3 months and jarred food at 4 months.  He loved it and it wasn't an everyday thing.  I believe you are supposed to start with orange foods and move on to other colors over time.  Whatever you start with try it once and see how it goes. If baby reacts poorly, is more irritated and cranky, won't sleep as well or just not herself, then stop for a week or two before trying again. The crankiness is her way of showing you that her insides aren't ready for it yet. 

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this
This. Introducing solids so early can easily cause Open Gut Syndrom and cause lasting problems. Maybe she's teething, or she just wants to suck for comfort. Try other things to satisfy her needs other than food first.

Quoting Gailll:

Time for a new doctor! This doctor is not following nutrition guidelines. If she is large you have been feeding her too much. She should get about 32 oz of formula a day. If she wants to suck more she can use a pacifier. Babies aren't developmentally ready for solids at 3 months no matter how big they are. Their gut isn't mature enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Your pediatrician is wrong, please seek a second opinion!  Starting solids this early can have serrious long term effects on your child including digestive problems and allergies not just now but later down the road.  I really encourage you to do some research of your own and consider stopping all solids until around 6 months. 

Quoting proudmother3905:

Well for starters, she's a large baby and is never fully satisfied after eating. Her pediatrician even put her on special formula to fill her quicker. Her pediatrician said she could have solids. Just as long as I'm sure to get the appropriate consistency and texture.

CafeMom Tickers
jessecutez
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:12 PM
Maybe some rice cereal in a bottle( which isn't recommended but neither is solids) but I would not do solids. And switch pedi...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Couldn't agree more, especially with the doctors not being trained in nutrition. They have an optional class that they can take if they choose, which outdates before they're finished in school. Pediatricians should be listened to about medical things (and even then, second opinions or just solid research is best), but not about nutrition.

Quoting larissalarie:

Just because you baby is large doesn't mean her gaps in her intestines closed any sooner than an average baby. My younger 2 were huge also, born over 9 pounds and practically 10 pounds, 15+ pounds by 2 months, 20 & 23 pounds by 6 months, etc. They still didn't receive solids before about 7 months.

Doctors are NOT trained in infant nutrition. They are trained in MEDICAL issues. They tend to resource parenting advice though, but they don't know anymore than anyone else who hadn't researched the topic.

As someone sufferig the lifelong consequences of being fed early solids (that didn't show up until early adulthood, my Mom thought I was "fine" too), I implore you to reconsider. Babyhood is such a short time, so she's eating frequently right now, that's how it's SUPPOSED to be! It only lasts mere months and she'll have a better chance at being healthy the next 90 years because of it :-)

Quoting proudmother3905:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Member on Oct. 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM

A 3 month old should be getting just formula and/or breast milk and nothing else!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)