Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

what to feed a 3month old.....

I have recently decided to go green-so to speak-and decided to start making my daughters baby food....what are some good food combinations?
by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Replies (101-110):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Pediatricians aren't required to have any formal education about infant feeding so they don't always give out the best information.  It's our job as parents to do our own research and to be as educated as possible when it comes to caring for our children.  I would never just take a dr.'s word for it. With that being said, it's your baby, your decision, parent how you want....you've clearly already made your decision, but just in case a more open minded new mother reads this post I though it was important to get the facts out there.

Quoting Elaina_Rose:

The dr told me it was fine and my Brest feeding consoler said the same. She said that I must not be making the nutrition that he needed he was very small and not gaining weight very well.

Quoting cabrandy03:

It's very normal for a breastfed baby to want to eat every hour, it dosn't mean they need solids.  It just means that your breastmilk is so perfect that it digests easily and quickly and that you should nurse often.

Quoting Elaina_Rose:

I breast fed and started my son on solids at three months he wanted to eat booby milk every hour! I started oatmeal first along with peas my son is just fine and he is 16 months now. Try peas! My son still loves them! My dr told me the same thing if you need any more advice pm me I made my sons baby food too

CafeMom Tickers
Small10
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM
I gave my 8 month old solids at 3 months. And she's been on them ever since.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilyNnannysmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

boobies!!   too young for solids

louzannalady
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

That is inaccurate on SOOO many points... Breast milk contains more calories than solids, so introducing solids will actually lead to a baby LOSING weight! : ( Nursing more frequently and block feeding is what will put weight on a baby! : ( Why would a person willfully go against AAP and WHO guidelines, that actually are accurate and have good evidence behind it?!

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-when/

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827.full?sid=45299156-71bc-46f3-abfe-e0393fcec3d8#T2

Quoting Elaina_Rose:

Lactation from my wic office. She said that If my son was not gaining weight right I needed to start solids it's not like I fed him baby food all day he got oatmeal with some bananas in it or peas around dinner time. I also continued to breast feed my son till 13 months

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Pediatricians/doctora know NOTHING about breastfeeding! Did you know they get about 1 HOUR of education on breastfeeding in med school?

Breastfeeding counselor or actual lactation consultant? Through WIC? Through the hospital?

No IBCLC(International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) would ever recommend that.

I bet he was fine. Some babies grow slow...

Quoting Elaina_Rose:

The dr told me it was fine and my Brest feeding consoler said the same. She said that I must not be making the nutrition that he needed he was very small and not gaining weight very well.

Quoting cabrandy03:

It's very normal for a breastfed baby to want to eat every hour, it dosn't mean they need solids.  It just means that your breastmilk is so perfect that it digests easily and quickly and that you should nurse often.

Quoting Elaina_Rose:

I breast fed and started my son on solids at three months he wanted to eat booby milk every hour! I started oatmeal first along with peas my son is just fine and he is 16 months now. Try peas! My son still loves them! My dr told me the same thing if you need any more advice pm me I made my sons baby food too

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this
It's not just about obesity and at 3.5 you have absolutely no way of know if she's "fine" or not. The issues from feeding solids too early, obesity included, don't normally show up until adulthood. My autoimmune disorders that are directly linked to early solids and nothing else didn't show up until adulthood.
Yes every child is different: personality, size shape, etc- but the fact of the matter is biology is pretty damn consistent for every human. If some babies insides developed sooooo much faster, that same logic wouldsay those same babies could have been born 3-4 months earlier than recommended and been perfectly fine with zero medical intervention, which we all know is absolutely untrue.
Quoting mcr17:

my daughters pediatrician said 4-6 months. 

every baby IS different. my oldest started solids at 4 months. at age 3 1/2 she is not obese. im gonna try with my youngest at 4 months as well. if she isnt ready till 6 months or older thats fine.

parents know when their kids are ready.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

No a baby's digestive system is not ready until 6+ months period!

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Every baby is different why can't you women understand that????

Quoting NicLof2:

This!

Babies tummy is not ready for solids.

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Solids in general are a no-no until at least 6 months

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM
Just formula or breast milk at the age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.H.E.L.S.E.A
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Breastmilk.

Being a big baby is no reason to start solids early, most likely you're daughter isn't ready for it and will just spit it out anyway. My son was 17 lbs at 3 months and we still waited until 6 months before he got anything but breastmilk

mcr17
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:49 PM
My daughter is 3 1/2 YEARS, not months.her sister is 3 months and is formula fed only. At 4 months i will try solids for her.

Quoting louzannalady:

So, you are saying your 3 1/2 month old sits up on his/her own without propping, has a pincer grasp and has lost the tongue-thrust reflex? That all happens at the time that the baby no longer has an open gut. An open gut means that all bacteria goes directly from the stomach to the blood stream, which can be very dangerous for baby. 

Quoting mcr17:

every baby IS different. my oldest started solids at 4 months. at age 3 1/2 she is not obese. im gonna try with my youngest at 4 months as well. if she isnt ready till 6 months or older thats fine.

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Quoting NicLof2:

This!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcr17
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:52 PM
2 moms liked this
Id rather listen to their Pediatrician and my own experience to determine when my kids are ready, not someone who thinks they know everything on the subject

Quoting larissalarie:

It's not just about obesity and at 3.5 you have absolutely no way of know if she's "fine" or not. The issues from feeding solids too early, obesity included, don't normally show up until adulthood. My autoimmune disorders that are directly linked to early solids and nothing else didn't show up until adulthood.
Yes every child is different: personality, size shape, etc- but the fact of the matter is biology is pretty damn consistent for every human. If some babies insides developed sooooo much faster, that same logic wouldsay those same babies could have been born 3-4 months earlier than recommended and been perfectly fine with zero medical intervention, which we all know is absolutely untrue.
Quoting mcr17:

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Quoting NicLof2:

This!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
louzannalady
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Okay. I repeat. You are saying your four month old sits up on her own, without propping, has a pincer grasp and has lost the tongue-thrust reflex? 

Quoting mcr17:

My daughter is 3 1/2 YEARS, not months.her sister is 3 months and is formula fed only. At 4 months i will try solids for her.

Quoting louzannalady:

So, you are saying your 3 1/2 month old sits up on his/her own without propping, has a pincer grasp and has lost the tongue-thrust reflex? That all happens at the time that the baby no longer has an open gut. An open gut means that all bacteria goes directly from the stomach to the blood stream, which can be very dangerous for baby. 

Quoting mcr17:

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Quoting NicLof2:

This!

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)