Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Still not sleeping through the night!!!

My son will be 9 months in about a week and a half and is STILL waking up one or two times a night to eat, i think it is WAY past time that he should be sleeping all night...i thought we would of mastered this months ago. Any advice on what to do or things i should try to get him to sleep all night??

by on Oct. 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM
Replies (31-40):
sktrowb
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM
One or two times I think that's great. My 9 month old co sleeps so I dnk how many times he wakes. Tap is right there he curls up and goes right back to sleep
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittanyx22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Throw out what you "think" and come back to reality lol. Some kids don't sleep through the night until toddlerhood. Some ADULTS don't sleep through the night. If he's hungry, feed him. It really is that simple. I'm sure YOU want to sleep all night, but our babies don't really allow that :)
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this
lol they do it when THEY'RE ready. I'm 24 years old and have never slept thru the night, why would I expect a baby to? My 18 months old still wakes in the middle of the night. It's what they do and is just something that's a part of being a parent.
I just don't understand the unrealistic expectations that babies HAVE to be sleeping thru the night by a certain age...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jj_bmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:26 AM
My son was almost a year old before he slept through the night. He would wake up at least once a night to nurse or get a bottle
mjimaging
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM
DS is three and still gets up at night. If I'd let him he'd still nurse at night too. We night weaned him a few weeks ago but he still gets up. Until a year at least I'd continue to feed him at night. There's lots of growth spurts in there. Sleep is a commodity, I haven't had a full night in three years. Although, cosleeping and nursin helped a lot. I only had to half wake up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue_Spiral
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Breastfed babies don't sleep through the night until 2-4 years old.

Only recently, at about 1 and  half, has my son started waking only once a nigh to nurse.

On occasion he still wakes up a few times a night, depending on if he is sick or his schedule is messed up or something.

3babiesofmyown
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM
No. My dd slept through the night from birth. She was preemie so I woke her every few hours to eat. I had to set alarms which I woke up before they went off. Ds nursed every hour on the hour until I weaned him. He's 2 and still wakes up but goes back to sleep. My youngest is 6 months old and only wakes up once on the nights I'm home. When I work she nurses at 9-10pm and waits til 7am when I get home.

They're all different. Sounds like this is just what he needs. But if you really need a break can you enlist daddy's help?

Btw I sleep with my babies. It's just what I had to do to survive. Even the preemie. With her I actualy slept less but it beat getting up every 20min to check in her. I just watched her sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyrelsmom
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM
You can try not feeding him, sometimes they just get accustomed to it, but don't need it. But some do still need the middle of the night feed.
Also, at that age it could be teething contributing to the problem. My daughter is the same age, and although she usually sleeps thru, she's not a great sleeper when she has a tooth bugging her.
Another thing is that most people don't sleep through, they can just put themselves back to sleep. That takes some longer than others to learn how. My 3 year old has an issue with that, lol, she actually slept decently well as a baby, now she just sneak into mommy and daddy's bed.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smac28
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Right there with you mine slept all through the night from about 2 months until 7 months. . . now 10 months he wakes up once or twice a night. I feed him if he's hungry (by now you know the different cries i am sure) but if not I give him his pacifier or rub his back (or belly) depending on how he lays down. other times if hes standing up in the crib I take him out walk around for about a minute lay him back down. My friend's 16 month old still wakes up every night, it happens, its normal. But i definitely understand where you're coming from!

zmans_mommy
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Mine is 9 months and he still wakes up once or twice in the night to nurse
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)