Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

ERF! piog

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM
  • 40 Replies
My husband thinks it's "stupid" to erf. So basically, I need help getting him to understand why it's not! Post facts, etc. Thanks :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
expectantmom81
by Erin on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:09 PM
I rear face until age two.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LongBeachLiz
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Talk to your pediatrician. Mine insists at least to two years (and she's very laid back about my parenting choices except that). It's also why they make carseats that go up to a high weight while rearfacing. Even big babies aren't usually 40 lbs at 1. It's just all around safer. It doesn't hurt anyone to erf...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:18 PM
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Here's another link, with the updated stance of the AAP as well as a personal story that is heartbreaking!

ceckyl
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Rear facing is 500x safer than forward facing. In the carseat safety group there is an entire reference library with links and info. Check it out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Let's see: it's a simple law of motion- objects in motion tend to stay in motion until stopped by an outside force.

If you are in a crash the outside force stopping you from flying through your car at 50 mph (or whatever speed) is hopefully a seatbelt or car seat. A forward facing person only has their body stopped and it's up to your muscles to snap you head back from traveling at that speed.
Now ask husband to imagine a baby or toddlers huge head and weak neck muscles managing this task in the event of an accident. Which sound "sillier" risking internal/external decapitation by forward facing early because it is how it used to be done and there's no law demanding parents do what's best yet; or keeping baby rear facing (which doesn't require any extra effort) so in the event of a crash baby is cradled from head to toe and the seat stops the motion of their body?

Good luck mama, stand your ground!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenncatsmeow
by on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Here are some comparison videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGDis1VlUvM

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM
My hubby does too. We compromised by doing until 2 and 30. That is about when they have outgrown the seat rear facing anyway. I would prefer until 3 at least but 2 is also pretty good.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
addiesmommy1109
by Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM
Thanks everyone. He says he understands it's safer but thinks it's stupid to have a large child facing the back seat. But I think we may have compromised on 40lbs since that is the weight limit on the car seat. I'm trying to convince him we should rf my 3 year old again since she is only 29.5lbs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
XOXOnBubbles
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Here is a link to a great article on the safety of rear facing.  :-) 

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)