Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

8 month old won't drink. *UPDATE* UPDATE2

Posted by   + Show Post

My 8 month old DD won't drink juice, I was just wondering if any one had some tips, I have tried putting it in her bubba, sippy cup, etc. Nothing seems to be working. We started putting it in a sippy cup first, tried a few different brands, she will chew on it but wont drink from it. So my mother suggested just giving her juice in a bubba, and I tried that too but she doesn't want it. Any tips, or is it normal for babies this age to not really drink anything besides formula? 

UPDATE: Her pediatrician recommended juice&water< she won't drink either. She only has MAYBE 4 bottles a day, her pediatrician didnt want to risk her getting dehydrated. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips about getting her to drink juice/water. I just want to go by the pediatrician, she's really great and I believe her when she says that she should be having some juice/water. Thank you gals for your tips, but I just think I should listen to the pediatrican in this case, so if anyone has any tips of how to get her to drink juice/water that would be helpful, I understand that she doesnt need it yet, but this is on her pediatricians remondation.

UPDATE2:

I wasnt asking if people thought I SHOULD be giving her juice/water, I was asking of tips on HOW to give her juice/water. My pediatrican has recomended this to help with her constipation issues, I did not add that in the OP because I was not asking if I should I was asking for tips on how. If your not going to answer the question, why comment on the post??

thank you to all the moms that actually helped me with advice! :)

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Replies (31-39):
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:08 PM
I agree.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting MommyOfOnee:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Seriously. Juice is just sugar. It is no better than soda at this age. Just stick with formula or water. Ask your doctor to show you what research authority shows juice is recommended. Doctors aren't authorities on nutrition.

As for the sippy cup, try the ones with straws. The playtex kind worked first for my son... probably by 9 1/2 months?

She didn't say specifically just juice, she said try giving her juice and water to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated, she only wants 4-5 bottles a day, and only 5-6 oz. So they just want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. So it doesnt have to be juice. I am just asking for advice, thanks for the tip about the playtex kind, I'll definetly try it :)

Even on the lower end... Four 5oz bottles a day is 20oz per day.  Your babe is at ZERO risk for dehydration with that kind of intake.    Stop trying to force it... no more juice.  Offer water with meals to get used to the sippy... and possibly find a new ped??

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM
She doesn't need it.
Keep offering it, eventually she will take it.
I would just do water. We don't do juice, no need.
Mine have it when our and others give it to them, that's about it.
Otherwise it's water.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM
you do realize your awesome dr isn't trained in child nutrition!?
Take medical advise from drs, nutrition advise from a nutritionist.
its absolutely not necessary your dr is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2xp
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Or constipation. I've never had to try it but I've heard it works pretty good

Quoting abra:

I think the only reason to give juice is if they wont drink water. If/when I did, i always diluted the apple juice with half water.

Quoting mommy2xp:

At that age I just gave my girls a sippy with water in it, they hardly ever drank from it but it got them used to the cup. 

Quoting abra:

Quoting expectantmom81:

Juice isn't necessary. I wouldn't worry :)

MommyOfOnee
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Uhm, I didn't ask for you to tell me what to do, I asked for opinions on how to get her to drink juice and/or WATER. Im sorry, but your comment "no more juice' rubbed me the wrong way. I was looking for advice following the suggestion of a pediatrican, who is a wonderful doctor. My DD is sick, and has severe constipation issues. I wasnt asking if people thought I SHOULD be giving her juice/water, I was asking of tips on HOW to give her juice/water. That was my original question. If you didnt have an answer, why comment? And if Im reading your comment wrong, Im soory, Im not trying st start issues I just wanted to make clear what exactly I was asking.

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

I agree.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting MommyOfOnee:

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Seriously. Juice is just sugar. It is no better than soda at this age. Just stick with formula or water. Ask your doctor to show you what research authority shows juice is recommended. Doctors aren't authorities on nutrition.

As for the sippy cup, try the ones with straws. The playtex kind worked first for my son... probably by 9 1/2 months?

She didn't say specifically just juice, she said try giving her juice and water to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated, she only wants 4-5 bottles a day, and only 5-6 oz. So they just want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. So it doesnt have to be juice. I am just asking for advice, thanks for the tip about the playtex kind, I'll definetly try it :)

Even on the lower end... Four 5oz bottles a day is 20oz per day.  Your babe is at ZERO risk for dehydration with that kind of intake.    Stop trying to force it... no more juice.  Offer water with meals to get used to the sippy... and possibly find a new ped??

aarensmommy
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:37 PM

i dont have any tips on how to get her to drink it but my cousins dd had problems with constipation around that age n dr recommend more juice it worked but she will be 4 in Nov and had to go get her two front teeth filled due to cavities, dentist said it was from juice so make sure you brush her teeth lots n lots. good luck hope she starts drinking for u!

LyTe684
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM
Medicine syringe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM
No advice. If she won't drink from a sippy at all I would keep trying different ones
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyOfOnee
by Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thanks for the advice, and yah I have the baby tooth brush and we use it twice a day, she LOVES it lol so I will definetely keep trying that. I wish I didnt have to give her anything but formula, but we have tried everything with her constipation so this is the easiest way.

Quoting aarensmommy:

i dont have any tips on how to get her to drink it but my cousins dd had problems with constipation around that age n dr recommend more juice it worked but she will be 4 in Nov and had to go get her two front teeth filled due to cavities, dentist said it was from juice so make sure you brush her teeth lots n lots. good luck hope she starts drinking for u!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)