Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

8 month old won't drink. *UPDATE* UPDATE2

Posted by   + Show Post

My 8 month old DD won't drink juice, I was just wondering if any one had some tips, I have tried putting it in her bubba, sippy cup, etc. Nothing seems to be working. We started putting it in a sippy cup first, tried a few different brands, she will chew on it but wont drink from it. So my mother suggested just giving her juice in a bubba, and I tried that too but she doesn't want it. Any tips, or is it normal for babies this age to not really drink anything besides formula? 

UPDATE: Her pediatrician recommended juice&water< she won't drink either. She only has MAYBE 4 bottles a day, her pediatrician didnt want to risk her getting dehydrated. I just wanted to know if anyone had any tips about getting her to drink juice/water. I just want to go by the pediatrician, she's really great and I believe her when she says that she should be having some juice/water. Thank you gals for your tips, but I just think I should listen to the pediatrican in this case, so if anyone has any tips of how to get her to drink juice/water that would be helpful, I understand that she doesnt need it yet, but this is on her pediatricians remondation.

UPDATE2:

I wasnt asking if people thought I SHOULD be giving her juice/water, I was asking of tips on HOW to give her juice/water. My pediatrican has recomended this to help with her constipation issues, I did not add that in the OP because I was not asking if I should I was asking for tips on how. If your not going to answer the question, why comment on the post??

thank you to all the moms that actually helped me with advice! :)

by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
aimesnyc
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried Pedialyte?  Maybe she will like the flavor more?  Otherwise, I would keep offering her water (moreso than juice, or give her watered-down juice) until she gets the hang of it .  I also would just give her the water/juice/pedialyte when you give her solids.  That way you don't give her too much, but also get her used to having something to drink when she eats.

abra
by Abra on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:41 PM
I think the only reason to give juice is if they wont drink water. If/when I did, i always diluted the apple juice with half water.

Quoting mommy2xp:

At that age I just gave my girls a sippy with water in it, they hardly ever drank from it but it got them used to the cup. 

Quoting abra:

Quoting expectantmom81:

Juice isn't necessary. I wouldn't worry :)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep trying.  Hang in there and go by what you and your doctor feels is best for your baby.

jenesis915
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:50 PM

not there yet sorry but heres a bump!

aimhawk
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:51 PM

DD never drank juice even as a toddler. I will not be even offering it to DS until he is over a year. DS is 8 1/2 months, he BF's and ocassionally has some water that I hold in a straw with my finger on one end.

How many ounces are her bottles? Are her diapers fine? Is she gaining weight?

Amberleigh81
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Seriously. Juice is just sugar. It is no better than soda at this age. Just stick with formula or water. Ask your doctor to show you what research authority shows juice is recommended. Doctors aren't authorities on nutrition.

As for the sippy cup, try the ones with straws. The playtex kind worked first for my son... probably by 9 1/2 months?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM
Do what your doc says not random Internet strangers lol.

Anyway have you tried a regular cup? My son hates sippy cups but will drink out of a normal cup.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I wouldn't give a baby juice.

I nurse on demand, and offer water through a straw.

MommyOfOnee
by on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I have a few times, and I know lol thats why I updated cause everyone was like "she doesnt need juice/water yet". Yah, she does okay with the cup, guess I'll stick with that for now

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Do what your doc says not random Internet strangers lol.

Anyway have you tried a regular cup? My son hates sippy cups but will drink out of a normal cup.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Ds started getting 4-6oz juice a week at 6 months.  He prefered straw cups to sippy cups.  Have you tried just a regular cup?  just a small 3-5oz paper or plastic cup she could drink from like you would.  

DS wouldn't drink water at first but he loves it when there's ice in it.  It was like a toy and hydration in one.  

Also as far as juice goes, and I'm sure your doc mentioned it, make sure that it is 100% juice and read the label just to make sure you know what you are giving her.  Ds will occasionally get juice that isn't 100% juice and i can tell the difference in his behavior because of the added sugar.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)