Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Outgrowing Car Seats

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
I've seen a few car seat posts lately, and I wanted to share some info about when they are outgrown. The weight limit is OFTEN irrelevant--a great majority of kids outgrow their seats by height first. So, here is the breakdown:

REARFACING seats are outgrown by height when there is 1" or less of hard shell left above the baby's head. The exception is if there is a strict height limit--both the Cosco Scenera and the Safety 1st Complete Air65 have them. (Always check your manual to be sure.)

FORWARD FACING seats are outgrown by height when one of two things happens. 1) their shoulders are above the top harness slots; or 2) the tips of their ears are above the shell.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CjEmmemommy
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:44 PM
Bump
shellyote
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Good to know. I'm excited about getting her next carseat, and it may happen sooner than I thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Because I love car seats...What seat is she in now?

Quoting shellyote:

Good to know. I'm excited about getting her next carseat, and it may happen sooner than I thought.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dragonmamas
by Ari on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM
Thanks for sharing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellyote
by on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:56 PM
The chicco keyfit 30. I like it. I know no other. Sometimes the straps tighten unevenly, and that is annoying to deal with. I want to get a radian. It seems like the best fit for us- but I haven't busted out the tapemeasurer yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM
My DD needs a new seat. She's in a carrier now and still fits height-wise but weight wise she's at the top of the limit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:10 PM
I have the KF30 a well for my twins. Awesome seat! I would recommend against the Radian. It's not a super tall seat, and it's outgrown quickly both FFing and in booster mode. The weight limits are completely unrealistic, as no one will make it to them without outgrowing it by height . The company is incredibly shady as well. The SuperLATCH is dangerous--it loosens on its own--but they havent recalled it yet. A friend I know from the car seat group called the company after having this happen, and they told her to use DUCT TAPE to fix it! In my opinion, and the opinion of many car seat techs, the only thing a Radian is good for is a tight 3-across (three car seats side by side) because it's super narrow. Otherwise, there are MANY better seats that are cheaper in price. I would recommend the Graco Size4Me70 (MySize70 at Babies R Us) because it is the longest lasting seat available right now. Tall shell for RFing (tallest on the market) and tall top slot for FFing (1-1.5" taller than the Radian).

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a car seat Nazi or anything...Just trying to help. :)

Quoting shellyote:

The chicco keyfit 30. I like it. I know no other. Sometimes the straps tighten unevenly, and that is annoying to deal with. I want to get a radian. It seems like the best fit for us- but I haven't busted out the tapemeasurer yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shellyote
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:07 AM
I definitely have more homework to do on this. Thanks for the info on the radian. I've heard good things about britax. I've got some money saved especially for her carseat, so I'm not using price as a main criterion.

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I have the KF30 a well for my twins. Awesome seat! I would recommend against the Radian. It's not a super tall seat, and it's outgrown quickly both FFing and in booster mode. The weight limits are completely unrealistic, as no one will make it to them without outgrowing it by height . The company is incredibly shady as well. The SuperLATCH is dangerous--it loosens on its own--but they havent recalled it yet. A friend I know from the car seat group called the company after having this happen, and they told her to use DUCT TAPE to fix it! In my opinion, and the opinion of many car seat techs, the only thing a Radian is good for is a tight 3-across (three car seats side by side) because it's super narrow. Otherwise, there are MANY better seats that are cheaper in price. I would recommend the Graco Size4Me70 (MySize70 at Babies R Us) because it is the longest lasting seat available right now. Tall shell for RFing (tallest on the market) and tall top slot for FFing (1-1.5" taller than the Radian).

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a car seat Nazi or anything...Just trying to help. :)

Quoting shellyote:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avetay
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:12 AM
Bump for everyone to lnow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I was looking into getting the Radian seat as well.  But I have had a hard time finding any reviews.  DS was 20lbs at 6 months old and has been above 30" since around 8 months.  He is 15.5 months 25 lbs and 33". He has a cheap seat right now that has worked, but I hate it.  I can't remember what seat we have in the truck but we bought it on clearance so we won't be getting another one.

I am due in April with #2 and we are looking for good seats where DS can rearface longer than he currently will, most likely he will be turning ff at 21 months to make room for baby.  And we would like seats we can fit next to each other.  We have been talking about looking into becoming a foster family and we might need to fit 3 seats across the backseat of the truck or whatever car we end up getting to replace my tracker.

Any help is appreciated!

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Quoting shellyote:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)