Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My 8 month baby wont sleep in crib or take formula I'm tired of breastfeeding and exhausted

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM
  • 20 Replies
My baby girl is too attached she doesn't do well in crib if i leave room and I'm not able to take time away because I'm also breastfeeding. I never thought I'd go this long. Yes it's great for the baby but I want to start working and going back to school and having date night...if I put my milk into a bottle she just plays with it and is smart enough to know that it's not the real thing so please help what can I do?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM
My son is 13 months (still nursing on demand) and has had 1 bottle but he's refused them since 4 months.

When I go out with my DF I feed him right before I head out the door and I make sure I am home in 3-3.5 hours. He can usually be distracted a little if he gets fussy. I feed him the minute I walk in the door too.

I guess it comes down to are you really done or not... Weaning would mean dropping 1 feeding a week until done. If she won't take formula though you have a problem. She might not take it when you are around so you could try letting dad feed her while you go to the store or something.

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
melindabelcher
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this
If you want to go out/school l/work etc just leave the bottle and your milk. Baby won't starve, if hes hungry he'll take it.
Method of feeding doesn't determine personality. You can have a clingy formula fed baby or independent breastfed baby.
Go out, enjoy, have a drink if you want. Breastfeeding doesn't mean your stuck home with baby 24/7
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sleepymommy87
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I have no advice because my dd is the same and we bedshare, I am still exclusively nursing my 8 month old on demand, she never has bottles, and I like it that way. I also commute 30 miles each way to school full time, and I still go on dates with dh. It can be done without weaning, it's just a matter of figuring out a system of time management. *shrug* Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lcherniske
by Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:04 PM
Try a sippy cup without valve at 1st. I had to at 4 months when mine started refusing the bottle. Now at 10 months he can use it with the valve. I doubt mine would drink formula either- i always use pumped milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Use nipple guards while breast feeding, then the bottle is an easy transition. It works for me;) If she doesn't like the formula, maybe switch formulas. As far as the crib situation, it will be hard for a while. I still have a 2.5 yr old that sneaks in my bed every other night. These are some ideas, and good luck:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:35 PM
I'm not sure. I'm still breastfeeding and cosleeping with my 15 month old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs_smiph
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 5:38 PM
3 moms liked this

She's still a baby. She will grow up soon enough and you'll wish for these days again. Enjoy each moment. Also, babies can feel your frustration...remember that. Keep calm and have patience and your baby will too. :)

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Nipple shields aren't probably the best idea.

From Kellymom.com:

Disadvantages to using a nipple shield

Disadvantages to the nipple shield include:

Baby may get less milk if the shield is used incorrectly

Mom may be more at risk for plugged ducts and mastitis (if the shield causes reduced milk transfer)

It can be difficult to wean from the shield

What precautions should be taken when using a nipple shield?

Here are a couple of things to keep an eye on until baby is weaned from the shield. By following through with the precautions that outlined below, you should be able to avoid or head off any problems:

When using a shield you’ll need to carefully assess your baby for adequate intake (see links below). Count his wet diapers every day and make sure that he’s having at least 6 really wet ones each 24 hour period. You also will want to make sure that he stools at least twice daily if he is less than 5-6 weeks of age. After 5-6 weeks, his stools may only come every few days, but should still be loose and profuse if many days have passed. Baby will also need to be weighed frequently – at least every 2 weeks (make sure you use the same scale) – until it is clear that he is gaining well.

You will also want to listen for frequent swallowing during the feeding and feel for overall good breast softening after the feeding. If your breasts are not well-softened after each feeding, you may need to pump until they are softened to ensure that your supply remains adequate. This will lessen your risk for plugged ducts and help to maintain your supply.

Quoting jakesmom323:

Use nipple guards while breast feeding, then the bottle is an easy transition. It works for me;) If she doesn't like the formula, maybe switch formulas. As far as the crib situation, it will be hard for a while. I still have a 2.5 yr old that sneaks in my bed every other night. These are some ideas, and good luck:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I'm sorry, I do not have any advice, bump!

kirstina
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM
go out with hubby.. feed baby before leaving go out for 3-4 hrs and baby should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN