Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

co sleeping/bedsharing opinions....

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 35 Replies

hello ladies.  i wanted to get your opinions on the above.  what was/is your reasoning for doing so?  

didnt/don't you find it difficult to get "your groove back" with your hubbies during this time?

those that do co sleep/bedshare, did/do you find that baby had/has difficult time transitioning to their crib/own space?

i'm really curious because I adamantly refused to do so for fear of the questions i posed but would love to get insight into other perspectives.

by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
othermom
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not comfortable co sleeping. We like a lot of blankets and pillows and just feel safer having our kids in either a playpen or a crib. They do stay in our room by our bed for atleast the first 4-5  months. My youngest did till a year since she was horrible about sleeping

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I bedshare, and I love it.  I wouldn't do it any other way. The reason I started bedsharring is because I breastfeed and it was so much easier to just roll over to feed her then get out of bed and get her and then try to put her back down in her bassinet.  We both got so much more sleep with her next to me.  It also just felt right, I love being able to cuddle with her at night.  Dh and I have had no problem with our "groove" we'd just move to the floor when she was younger now we go to the living room.  We've just recently started transitioning dd to her own toddler bed (she is almost 2) and so far it's been going pretty smoothly.  Right now she sleeps on her toddler matress right next to ours, and we will slowly move it further away from ours and then eventually into her own room. 

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM
I love co-sleeping! I have my baby's crib attached to my side of the bed and she goes back and forth as needed. I love it because it provides easy access, I get far more sleep, and I love the baby snuggles.

Hubby and I have never had problems with our 'groove' :)

I have only transitioned one and he did so easily. My daughter will be going into her own bed as soon as she is feeling better. I started the transition but then she got sick so I had to stop. She is 12 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tnovak
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:18 PM

I was very scared at first but ended up doing it for 4 months out of necessity to get some shut eye.  I am a very light sleeper too.  I think it is great. I do not have anyone else in the bed.  IT was very hard to get my son to sleep in a crib afterwards- so hard and I had to hold him for naps, b/c he was so use to the comfort while sleeping.

tyrelsmom
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM
I cosleep until the baby outgrows the bassinet. 3.5 months (she was huge, lol) to 6 months. No issue with the groove, they spent at least the first part of the night in the bassinet (right up against the bed) the majority of nights. And we've never had a problem gettin' it on with a sleeping baby in the room (of that age, anyway. They don't pretend to sleep.) To transition, I would start putting them down for naps in the crib (in their own room) when the bassinet was nearly outgrown, and then put them in the crib at night when it was completely outgrown. No issue, with 4 kids. Only problem is, after sleeping fine in her own room for well over a year, our 3 year old started coming into our bed every night lately. But I don't think it has anything to do with cosleeping for her first 6 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bbyB10
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I this it is personal choice and whatever works for your family , but to answer the question hubby ends up on the floor with blankets and pillows , and our bed is the babys and she refuses to sleep or even hang out in her crib . 

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM

We love co-sleeping.   We've been co-sleeping with at least one child for 6.5+ years.

Our kids generally start the night in their own bed... but the bed is not the only place to "get your groove back" with the hubs... and frankly, if you only ever have sex in your bed, then you're clearly not being creative enough. :)

My first was a difficult sleeper and would have been a difficult sleeper no matter what... co-sleeping simply saved my sanity during his infancy.   Once he was ready to sleep alone, it was no problem.. that was around age 4 for him.   My second actually co-slept near exclusivly from birth - almost 3 and when we felt it was time to move him, he had no problem sleeping alone in his room... he was excited about it, in fact.    My daughter is still co-sleeping and we'll move her when we feel she's ready.  

Hope that helps!   :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
proudMom2634
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I also co-sleep with my DD since she was born and we love it!!! I was able to hug, kiss and talk to her anytime!!!

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:12 PM

We bedshare and then we side-carred the crib. Next, we put baby in the crib in our room. Around 9 months we move them to the nursery. None of my children had difficulty being switched.

sktrowb
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 1:19 PM
My dd slept in a pack and play beside my bed from birth to 6 months. She starting having an allergic reaction to milk that we didn't figure out till 9.5 months(she would wake many times through the night) so we coslept for that time. We switched her from bm to formula and she started sleeping better so she went to her crib. We moved 2 months before she turned 2 and she didn't do well with the move ( we put her up to a toddler bed) she started sleeping with us again. We moved again(bought our house) and she went easily to her room.
Ds has co slept since birth. As for our groove. We have a chair we use, the livingroom, spare room, shower, kitchen. If we want to do it in bed we move ds to the crib or pack and play. No problems finding somewhere to do it if the desire is there.
Our bed has 6 pillows and regular blankets.(Cali king) I am super protective in my sleep. As Dh. He has had 2 scratch marks matching each of my rings and a tooth knocked out. Needless to say he behaves now
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)