Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

How long does this take?

Posted by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM
  • 15 Replies

I started changing Aiden's nightly routine a week ago. He did fairly well the first couple nights but on day 5 he screamed for an hour. Now he screams for 20 to 30 min. before he will go to bed. It breaks my heart hearing him but he needs to learn to go to bed on his own. I don't know how much longer I can do this. I feel horrible hearing him get like that. He is still screaming as I type this. I feel like I could start crying myself.

CafeMom Tickers
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Idk, how old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Hiw old is he? And why do you want him to learn to go to sleep and by himself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:22 PM

He just turned 11 months.

shadow_lark
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:25 PM
Oh. it's going to be a while. Tbh, i Dont do cio, i don't think its healthy. your Ds will learn to put himself to sleep when he is mature enough to do so. before then you are just making headaches for yourself. pick him up and rock him or whatever you do and try again in a few months .

Quoting Kaya529:

He just turned 11 months.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caffeinegal
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:34 PM
If it makes you feel better to cry, then do that! :) I've been there with both my boys. I've cried right along with them. A few times they stopped crying to watch me cry. Hang in there it will get better I promise! If you need to, just take a break and walk away. As long as they are in a safe place, feel free to go in your room, shut the door, and just chill or take a shower to calm down. You never know, they may be asleep when you are done
Kaya529
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:36 PM

He had some issues so I kind of let him slide on the whole going to sleep on his own. Up until now we would go on walks to put him to sleep. Now I think he can handle learning to put himself to sleep. It is getting too cold to walk every night. He does not seem to agree.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

CafeMom Tickers
NoahandEliza
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:38 PM
Well, since dd is 15 months and still gets rocked to sleep, I don't know! Do you go in every few minutes and comfort him? I've heard that's a good way to do it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:39 PM
I always parent to sleep. I rocked my oldest to sleep until he was 15 months before he started going to sleep in his own. It's something kids learn on their own in their own time

Quoting Kaya529:

He had some issues so I kind of let him slide on the whole going to sleep on his own. Up until now we would go on walks to put him to sleep. Now I think he can handle learning to put himself to sleep. It is getting too cold to walk every night. He does not seem to agree.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Is he screaming or just crying loudly? If its screaming then something may be wrong. I would let my son cry but I would check on him every 5 to 10 min. If his cry changed or he started to scream I found out why. (dirty diaper, cold, hungry, scared) Never let them just sit and scream.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaya529
by Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I have trouble walking away. I feel like I have to go through this with him. I may not be in the room but somehow I think he knows I am sitting outside the door. I am not sure why I think it makes it better but I do.

Quoting Caffeinegal:

If it makes you feel better to cry, then do that! :) I've been there with both my boys. I've cried right along with them. A few times they stopped crying to watch me cry. Hang in there it will get better I promise! If you need to, just take a break and walk away. As long as they are in a safe place, feel free to go in your room, shut the door, and just chill or take a shower to calm down. You never know, they may be asleep when you are done

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN