Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Do you and your DH/SO keep your finances seperate?

Posted by   + Show Post

If so why? If not, why not?

credit card

by on Oct. 14, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
cruelella2to
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:24 AM

we currently keep our accounts seperate. because of his ex who he had children with. Im the "bread winner" as of right now. his company went under back in march. So i pay all the bills and grocerys. he pays rent. with the money he has left over that is the house spending money i guess. When we go out he pays for it dinner and movie usually weekly.

We decided that we are going to start saving. yes we are the people that don't have a savings account. (state took it all because he had been giving cs via cash instead of checks and it showed he owed back child support) we are going to attempt to make it joint. i match what he puts into it. I'm hoping it works. we are both impulsive people him WAY more than me.

Devious103102
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:40 AM

No. We're married, and even before we were actually married, what's mine was his and his is mine. 

LadyBugMom09
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Quoting jessicaaris:

DH and I keep ours together. We didn't have anything when we met so everything we have we share together, that is just always how its been.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pse07
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 12:42 AM
1 mom liked this
We have separate accounts but we have all of each others information.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
anime.princess
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:01 AM

-We have our own cars, credit cards, and bank accounts.   Why? We already had them b4 marriage.  However, we know the #s and have POA in case we need to access each other's account (me being military being one reason).

-We give money to each other all the time, and we both pay bills according to our existing income.  Now, is more like 90 (him)/10 (me) despite it has been 60/40 for the most part.  

-We see the money we earn as "ours" and despite we have our own accounts, we share it when needed or when wanted.

MixedCooke
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 1:50 AM

yes and no--I have a separate account and so does he but we also have joint accounts for our bills.  He is really bad at spending money and I am the saver, so it is best for us to keep it that way so that I can handle the bulk of the money while he still has some spending money for him to do what he likes.

catholicmamamia
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Combined.. because it was what we wanted and it works well for us. 

JoeyJrsMomma
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Yes and no. We always had it together, but when I got this job it was in a different state so we had to separate them for many reasons while I moved to take the job and DH stayed back to sell the house. Once we got back into living in the same house, we found that it was easier to keep them separate. He pays all the bills like house payments and electricity and stuff and I pay for the groceries, gas, daycare and then anything else we spend money on. It just kind of works for us. We have no secrets on what we spend our money on and anything that is not a bill, DH uses my account to pay for it and I write checks out of his to pay for bills. Both accounts are ours, we just each manage one account. It just works how we have our budget set up.

Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM
We share everything. We have been sharing everything since before we are married because we dont conside something being MINE or HIS. It is ours
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baquick
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:07 AM
Sorta we each have our own account and the joint. The bills and such come out of the joint and the personal ones are "play" money. Like if we want to eat lunch out or buy ourself something. I mostly use mine for Christmas/birthday shopping. And my at home business money goes into it. We transfer money if we need to.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)