Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

how often do you see/include inlaws?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
  • 45 Replies

Just curious, I have a 4 yr old and a 11 month old both boys. I am a SAHM and my am just curious how often you see/ interact with your inlaws?  Mine seem to want US over THERE (a 40 min ride cross state lines) at least once a week.  And invite us to dinner that seems to begin too close to my children's bedtimes....i am getting a little fed up and I am starting to feel a lot of guilt because they ask so much and half the time I end up saying no...usually because we already had plans, or it's too close to their bedtimes....

They are old school - they seem to think we should pack up a baby and a 4 yr old and it's easy breezy to come by - (it never is) not sure why they don't make more of an effort to come visit here - or god forbid offer to babysit....just wondering if you all have any of this going on!! UGH....

by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kirstina
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:15 PM
sorry both of hubby parent passed when he was young :( so i am no help but i think 2 times a month would be enough. however my kids see my parents 3-4 times a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM
We see my husband's parents almost never thank goodness! They dont care anything about us or the baby, so screw them. The only time that my husband talks to them is when HE texts or calls first then his dad hollers at him for nothing and yellls at him saying that they need to talk more and we need to bring the baby over. He COULD come see us FOR ONCE! I would rather it this way though. No contact with that crazy family =/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CjEmmemommy
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Mine like 30-40 mins away and we see them 6 or so times a year. My fil does stop by unannounced when he is out on a ride (motorcycle) but actuallt getting together isn't often. We went Christmas to fares day last year not seeing each other and since fathers day we have gotten together 3 or 4 times.
We will see each other at Christmas next most likely.
jessicaaris
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Everyday because my MIL lives with us. But before she moved in hardly ever because they lived out of state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lindsay122001
by on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM
We all live in different states. His dad is in Washington, his ma in NC, and my parents are in Wi, while we live in TX. So unfortunately not as much as we would like.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2012 at 10:34 PM
We only see family a couple of times a year since they live 1000 miles away. But I think a weekly visit to family that lives only 40 miles away seems appropriate. Why not just talk to them and say that while you love spending time with them you would love it more if perhaps dinner could start earlier so the kids can get to bed on time. Maybe you could pick a set day and time and make it a weekly date so then everyone knows what to expect. You could even suggest taking turns hosting dinner for the date, so one of you isn't always stuck with the cooking & clean up or driving.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:57 AM
I see my inlaws a few times a week. They only live 10 or 15 mins away. Dh works for his dad so he sees him almost every day. I see my parents everyday that I work cuz I drop the kids off to them and they watch them. My parents live a whole 4 miles away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyajay
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 2:59 AM
My mom- few times a week, my dad maybe every other week mother in law usually on Sundays and father in law is rare but i don't care its his loss..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by on Oct. 17, 2012 at 3:06 AM
DH's parents live in Indy do we don't ate them often. His mom tries to visit every few months, where his dad and step mom have never visited and expect us to travel there. Our son is 9 months old and thanksgiving will be the 2nd time we visited. My parents used to live 20 mind away but decided they need to be closer to their grandson so they live around the corner we see them almost every other day. We are very close.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoeyJrsMomma
by Gold Member on Oct. 17, 2012 at 8:15 AM

My FIL and his wife don't get kids' schedules. We are always explaining to them that we can dinner at 5pm bc that's when the kids are used to it, 6 or 6:30 just doesn't work for us. They are always feeling like they have to work around us, but I can't help that. They live 2 minutes down the street from us and often go holiday to holiday seeing the kids. They take no initiative to see them. My MIL on the other hand makes sure she sees them a minimum of once a month. She always calls us and asks what times work good for us if she is planning something so she can work around their schedules. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)