Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

I'm tired of Made in Bangladesh baby clothing- what's the alternative?

Posted by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm always tempted to ignore the fact that most of the affordable clothing that's out there is produced in Bangladesh or China. I just checked my baby boy's clothing's labels and I was pretty shocked (especially since I read a lot about how stuff is produced in those places)!

Besides sweatshop labor, the question is whether those countries always meet our safety standards! I mean, just read up on it (or google this stuff!)- Nonylphenol ethoxylates, which are used as detergents, keep being detected in many products of big brand clothing manufacturers. Those break down to form nonylphenol, a dangerous toxin that has persistent and hormone-disrupting properties. It's not the stuff I want on my baby's skin!

So what's the solution? I really don't know but a friend of mine just backed this campaing on Kickstarter and they say they do things differently.. what do you think about this? I'm not sure if I shall give them a shot, cause I do really like the idea.. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/505557876/kinds-stoff-rethinking-baby-fashion-0-24-months

This is only on for 39 days.. which other brands do you support? I like http://www.thelittleseed.com/ as well.. They also produce in LA..

by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM
You could try the made in your own home variety... i'm taking up sewing and i'm sure ecentually i'll start making clothes. I'm currently making a crib set
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sandy.A
by on Oct. 24, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I like that! I just wish I had a bit more time..

Sandy.A
by on Apr. 25, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Did you hear about what happend in Bangladesh? That's so sad!

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 25, 2013 at 5:20 PM
There are stores that sell only "Made in USA" clothing. You just have to research who they are.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Apr. 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Quoting Junebaby18:

There are stores that sell only "Made in USA" clothing. You just have to research who they are.

LandsEnd is all Made in USA clothing.
alandou
by April on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Only advice I can give is just try to do some internet research about US companies that make baby clothing. I don't really pay much attention to where they are made. I'm just happy to have my dd clothed. I need something that will hold up for a while and that's not extremely expensive since we can't afford to buy the best stuff out there...

alandou
by April on Apr. 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM

What about Etsy.com?

Sandy.A
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Quoting alandou:

Only advice I can give is just try to do some internet research about US companies that make baby clothing. I don't really pay much attention to where they are made. I'm just happy to have my dd clothed. I need something that will hold up for a while and that's not extremely expensive since we can't afford to buy the best stuff out there...

Thanks Guys! 

I am constantly looking for new opportunities to find affordable stuff made here in the U.S. You're absolutely right... We cannot afford to buy all the expensive clothing either, but it's really difficult to find responsibly produced baby clothing which is not expensive. Etsy is a great resource!

Where do you shop?

mommyhonu
by Mary on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

I make what I can but I can only sew in a straight line, lol!

Sandy.A
by on Apr. 26, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Quoting mommyhonu:

I make what I can but I can only sew in a straight line, lol!

We should all make everything ourselves! That way we would at least know who made it ;)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)