Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pitcher of Formula Goes Bad Too Quickly?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
  • 43 Replies

Me and my fiance make a new pitcher of about 60 oz and store it in the fridge for use until it's empty. It's supposed to stay good for up to five days, but after about 1-2 days it begins to smell sour. Why is this? Am I doing something wrong? 

Alexandria Logan blowing kisses

by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcr17
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM
3 moms liked this
once you make formula you're supposed to use it within 24 hours if it's refrigerated. I would only make enough for 1 day at a time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Ideally, feeds should be made fresh with boiled water for every feeding... you CAN make it and store it for up to 24 hours, but it should be stored in small containers since a large container can take longer to cool down and a big container of luke-warm formula is breeding ground for bacteria. 

So... if you simply can't make babies feeds fresh every time, then only make a days worth every morning and store in separate bottles. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
kirstina
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
i thought it was only good 24 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kimjohns8
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

On the can it says once made it needs to be consumed or can be refridgerated up to 24 hours...after that it's bad.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 8, 2012 at 3:46 PM
We used to make a pitcher of formula for ds.it's good for 24 hours and wed just have to use hot water once and let it cool instead of making fresh bottles every feeding and waiting for them to cool.
DutchBaby12
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Thank you all! Cause I definitely don't want my poor girl drinking sour milk /: I'm worried that I upset her stomach cause I might have used an ounce of the bad milk on her before I realized it wasn't good ): I'll only make enough for one day at a time now. 

calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM
Why are you making it as a pitcher? Is it liquid concentrate? That's the only kind I mix up for more than one bottle. If its powder I just mix it up bottle by bottle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 8, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Read the can again. Breastmilk is supposed to be good in the fridge for 5 days but formula needs to be used within 24 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcr17
it's easier to just pour in a bottle and microwave for few seconds

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Why are you making it as a pitcher? Is it liquid concentrate? That's the only kind I mix up for more than one bottle. If its powder I just mix it up bottle by bottle.
mcr17
it's easier to just pour in a bottle and microwave for few seconds

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)