Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Nighttime bottle weaning...

Posted by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:08 AM
  • 17 Replies
Will it happen naturally? Or just become a habit? My 10 mo old dr likes his bottle. If I take it after he's fallen asleep he startles and puts it back in his mouth. If I just pull it from his mouth and leave it in his hands sometimes he does the same thing. Most of the time he stays asleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 5:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmomma1111
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM
1 mom liked this

so he just uses an empty bottle after he falls asleep? if thats the case i would let him have a pacy for nighttime use... if he needs stuff in it to go to bed give him his milk then lay him down with a bottle of water... he is only 10 months but if he is attached then i would try to ween him... starting about 2 times a week take his bottle out of his crib, then up it until its gone maybe even swith it to an empty cup for him to hold? if you need help you can message me :) sorry if im confusing lol its 340am right now haha

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I had to switch DS to water at night and then he would have a bottle of milk about an hour before bed and then nothing at bedtime.

aimesnyc
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Here's a bump for ya - my son doesn't need a bottle to fall asleep, fortunately.  He has some milk as part of his bedtime routine, but I've never put it in bed with him.  I usually give it to him while I'm putting on his diaper after his bath.  Maybe try to give it to him earlier, and then lay him down?

Bonneata
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this
I swapped the bottle for his sippy. Step 2 swap water for milk the next week at bedtime. It's harder for them to suck a sippy than a bottle. My son now usually tosses his cup over the side when he is done. We have almost made it to no bottle or sippy in bed. I tried not letting him have bottle altogether my ears caved in for me so I tried the sippy. I know probably bad but it's working . He now goes to bed 50% of the time with neither without a throwing a fit
SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM
Is he old enough for a lot of water?

Quoting Firenygirl180:

I had to switch DS to water at night and then he would have a bottle of milk about an hour before bed and then nothing at bedtime.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM
I was thinking of that. I think for him it might be better to swap formula for water first. And then Sippy. I'm weaning him from cosleeping as well. Not sure how he'd handle too many changes at once.

Quoting Bonneata:

I swapped the bottle for his sippy. Step 2 swap water for milk the next week at bedtime. It's harder for them to suck a sippy than a bottle. My son now usually tosses his cup over the side when he is done. We have almost made it to no bottle or sippy in bed. I tried not letting him have bottle altogether my ears caved in for me so I tried the sippy. I know probably bad but it's working . He now goes to bed 50% of the time with neither without a throwing a fit

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM

He wouldn't drink the water so that doesn't matter.  He'd take a sip or two and realize it wasn't milk and not want anymore.  He only drinks water if there is ice in it.

If you meant is your DS is old enough for lots of water:  You probably won't need to give him a lot.  Water is better than juice at his age though.  You could try milk about an hour before bed and then just water at night.  They say to switch to water at night once they get teeth.  By 12 months they really don't need a "meal" at bedtime they should just need dinner and a snack before bed.  Once you start brushing teeth you won't want to be giving him milk afterwards as well.  

Quoting SarineLewis:

Quoting Firenygirl180:

XbabysMommy
by on Nov. 12, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Is he still waking up during the night? My son seems to ONLY wake up during the night because he wants a bottle! I'm tracking all this advice to you! lol! :)

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM
Yah. I meant mine. Lol. I've read that formula and things can cause teeth problems. Another reason to switch. I'll be trying it tonight to see what he does. :)

Quoting Firenygirl180:

He wouldn't drink the water so that doesn't matter.  He'd take a sip or two and realize it wasn't milk and not want anymore.  He only drinks water if there is ice in it.

If you meant is your DS is old enough for lots of water:  You probably won't need to give him a lot.  Water is better than juice at his age though.  You could try milk about an hour before bed and then just water at night.  They say to switch to water at night once they get teeth.  By 12 months they really don't need a "meal" at bedtime they should just need dinner and a snack before bed.  Once you start brushing teeth you won't want to be giving him milk afterwards as well.  

Quoting SarineLewis:

Quoting Firenygirl180:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Nov. 12, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Am I nuts or aren't you not supposed to put a bottle in bed with a baby overnight? Doesn't it spoil? I never did it, always thought you weren't supposed to.  Seriously asking, not being snide.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN