Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

To co-sleep or not...

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is 5 weeks old...she slept in her bassinet for 2 weeks, and then when she went through her 3 week growth spurt, she'd SCREAM, and ever since we've been sleeping in the lazyboy or sitting up in bed.

She refuses to sleep without being held...i'm at my wits end.
But my dh is afraid that we'll mush her or she'll fall off or get hurt while we're sleeping.
I don't know what to do..I want sleep. I want to be in bed with my husband...

We DO try putting her down, but she'll make it maybe 5 minutes then wake up and scream, knowing we put her down :/

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:32 PM
You could side car her crib until she's ready to be farther away. Then maybe put the crib where she can see you and slowly move it farther away. We bedshare though. It works for us.... we are going to side car his crib though so he can have his own space when he wants it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
deccaf
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
We used a cosleeper at first, then she would bed share when she got older. We have no problem bed sharing. But for your piece of mind, you can get the little thing that goes in your bed.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM
I've co-slept with all my kids. My first two were bottle fed and even though it's a huge no-no when it comes to co-sleeping I felt totally secure. I was completely aware of where baby was and woke at the slightest noise. Even though they are 5 and almost 4 now I still wake from a dead sleep if they cry at night.

My youngest is 14 months and co-slept since birth(even in the hospital after my c-section.) We have been breastfeeding since day one so he has continued to sleep with me. His dad was not too happy about it but he works night so when he is home he could care less:-) Once he night weans I'll happily put him in his crib but he's still nursing every 3 hours(sometimes 2 and rarely 4 at night.)

It's about personal preference but it helps. Lay down, nurse, and sleep:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Summerlion1123
by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Have you tried a mini co-sleeper in your bed? I am not a co-sleeper but lately I've been putting my baby in my bed in the morning to get a few extra hours. I thought she'd roll off or I'd smush her too but I've found she only snuggles closer to me not toward the edge of the bed and I never move a muscle. Still, I don't know how people do it, its not comfortable for me AT ALL. I can't get in a position that works for me and not moving all night makes me stiff. Good luck, I hope you find something that works!

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 4:44 AM
My ds is now 10 months. I had the same issues when he was tiny. We've been cosleeping since he was tiny. Only advice I can give is if you so decide to. 1: keep baby on side of you away from dh so he doesn't worry. I found in the crook of my arm is the most comfy for both of us. 2: Have your side of the bed against the wall so that she can't roll off (more important once she starts rolling). 3: once you do it for a while it is hard to stop. There are techniques though.

You could also try a cosleeper. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:10 AM
Have her cry for a little bit that may help- that's te only way my 11 week old dd would go to sleep now she rarely cries when i put her down. I was at my wits end too! Nothing was working so one day I had to just put her down make sure she was safe and have a cry. Good luck to you;)
KAP4198
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Have you tried a swing?? That's upright more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
circle_of_life
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Co sleep. It's the only way I ever got any sleep when mine were teeny.

AleaKat
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:36 AM
I refuse to bed share. Sry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lulu9209479
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 7:38 AM
I don't co-sleep. I've heard too many stories of babies getting smotherd. I'd be scared to do it. My son is 6 weeks old and sleeps in a bassinet since he came home from the hospital. He won't be in it much longer because he's going to be too big for it. We also don't pick him up every single time he fusses, unless it's a full blown cry. We are letting him learn to settle himself to sleep and he'll fall asleep on his own. Maybe trying that will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN