Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

To co-sleep or not...

Posted by   + Show Post

My dd is 5 weeks old...she slept in her bassinet for 2 weeks, and then when she went through her 3 week growth spurt, she'd SCREAM, and ever since we've been sleeping in the lazyboy or sitting up in bed.

She refuses to sleep without being held...i'm at my wits end.
But my dh is afraid that we'll mush her or she'll fall off or get hurt while we're sleeping.
I don't know what to do..I want sleep. I want to be in bed with my husband...

We DO try putting her down, but she'll make it maybe 5 minutes then wake up and scream, knowing we put her down :/

by on Nov. 14, 2012 at 4:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessicaaris
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I co-slept for about 2 months with my younger two and then moved them to their own bed. It is a process to establish a routine but it is worth it once its done. With my son (my oldest) we co-slept for like a year and a half and then I could not get him out of my bed! I didn't want that to happen again so I kicked the girls out LOL.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

If you're breastfeeding, and sleeping on a bed (NEVER in a recliner or on a couch) with baby, that's what I would do.

I would never feel comfortable putting such a tiny baby in their own bed :( She's crying because they are supposed to want to be close to mama.

AshlynnJadesMom
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM
Let me see if I can find the link to the bassinet we used. My friend had the same problem and I suggested this bed and her baby sleeps well in it. I recommend it to anyone. It snuggles your baby and is up on an angle so they aren't sleeping flat. I never slept with my baby in my bed for all the fears and the fact that it is VERY hard to break them from sleeping in your bed.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12655801

I swear by this product! I would look into it. I hope this helps you!
NeverABreak
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I fall asleep in the recliner with her in my arms all the time. Definately going to reconsider now. Just curious, what makes it more dangerous?

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

All of this, with the added note that sleeping in a recliner with her is super dangerous - way more so than having her in bed with you. 

Another option would be a co-sleeper - it attaches to your bed and allows baby to be right next to you without being in your bed. 

Quoting IrishIz:

Are you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding?  Are you or dh overweight?  Do you or dh have any medical issues?  Do you or dh take any medications?  Are you able to sleep without heavy blankets?  Are either of you a smoker or a regular drinker?  Do you use any street drugs...ever?

I can't make a recommendation for cosleeping without knowing that you can do it safely.  I'm a believer in cosleeping but there are a lot of things you need to put into place to ensure it is safe.

NeverABreak
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:39 AM

My dd sleeps in one of these at night next to our bed:
http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-rock-n-play-sleeper/-/A-14069825?lnk=sr_ta-g_product

It keeps her at an incline, too, which would help with your LO's reflux. When dd is fussy and hard to put down for sleep, I just rock her in it until she's out.

jhslove
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Have you tried swaddling, white noise and/or having her sleep in a car seat or swing? Lots of babies don't like to sleep flat on their backs as newborns. My daughter slept in her car seat until she was 3 months old, then in a swing for a month, then we finally moved her to her crib when she was 4 months old. She was swaddled until 4 months, too, and we used white noise up until about a month ago.

aniters
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM
we love sleeping with DS. its so much easier to breastfeed at night lol
when we was a newborn he would sleep near the wall and I was in the middle with DF on the edge. we would also put pillows around DS just in case. when he was about 5 months we started putting him in the middle of DF and I. he's about to be 1 in 2 weeks and I don't see him moving to his own bed any time soon :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Yep that's what my 11 week old sleeps in! Although we still have some sleep issues w her, but this seems to be what she prefers sleeping in. Alot better than her flat bassinet

Quoting NeverABreak:

My dd sleeps in one of these at night next to our bed:
http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-rock-n-play-sleeper/-/A-14069825?lnk=sr_ta-g_product

It keeps her at an incline, too, which would help with your LO's reflux. When dd is fussy and hard to put down for sleep, I just rock her in it until she's out.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Because it would be easy for baby to get wedged between the cushions or fall out of your arms.  Here's a link with some great info on safe co-sleeping (same room) and bed sharing.

Quoting NeverABreak:

I fall asleep in the recliner with her in my arms all the time. Definately going to reconsider now. Just curious, what makes it more dangerous?

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

All of this, with the added note that sleeping in a recliner with her is super dangerous - way more so than having her in bed with you. 

Another option would be a co-sleeper - it attaches to your bed and allows baby to be right next to you without being in your bed. 

Quoting IrishIz:

Are you breastfeeding or bottlefeeding?  Are you or dh overweight?  Do you or dh have any medical issues?  Do you or dh take any medications?  Are you able to sleep without heavy blankets?  Are either of you a smoker or a regular drinker?  Do you use any street drugs...ever?

I can't make a recommendation for cosleeping without knowing that you can do it safely.  I'm a believer in cosleeping but there are a lot of things you need to put into place to ensure it is safe.

TiffanyMarie80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Not a fact at all  :)  All 3 of our kids slept in bed with us for awhile - they are now 18 months, 3.5, and 5.5, and they each sleep in their own rooms without any issues, and the transition was pretty seamless - harder on me than them, actually, because then I had to actually wake up and get out of bed to nurse at night  lol

Quoting AshlynnJadesMom:

Let me see if I can find the link to the bassinet we used. My friend had the same problem and I suggested this bed and her baby sleeps well in it. I recommend it to anyone. It snuggles your baby and is up on an angle so they aren't sleeping flat. I never slept with my baby in my bed for all the fears and the fact that it is VERY hard to break them from sleeping in your bed.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12655801

I swear by this product! I would look into it. I hope this helps you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN