Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Baby sleep issues!

Posted by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ok, I have to admit I have come to dread my 9 month old baby boys bed time. I used to be able to lay him in his crib since he was 3 weeks old and he would sleep through the night. At certain milestones he would change his pattern a little waking at different times etc. The last 3 weeks to month he has been fighting me so hard on going to sleep. I nurse him until he is drowsy and then try to lay him in his crib. Some nights he cries and some nights he lays in there, whines a little and goes to sleep. I sometimes sit with him and rub his back, which depending on his mood, usually works. The last few nights none of that has worked, I nurse him, he cries.. I lay him down, he cries.. I rub his back, he cries. All of us have suffered from a cold the last week but he hasn't shown any signs of having a cold or being sick at all. I can't let him lay in there and cry forever.. But I also don't want to drive myself crazy doing something that does nothing for him and ultimately make myself cry! I have read about separation anxiety and he seems to have that, especially at bed time. Help! Any advice?!
by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sikkr
by Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 8:56 PM
Maybe he is teething. My daughter did at three months. We used the Ferber technique and it did wonders. She goes right to sleep most nights. More nights then none.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Does he have a bedtime routine? If not, start one. Make it simple enough that you can do it every time you put him to bed, because it has to be consistent. Something like bath, pajamas, bottle, stories, song, bed.

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Sleep regression! Very normal at this age:-)

sleep regression is due to a lot of brain development. Your baby may be crawling, scooting, sitting up, pulling up, cruising, and so on. Your baby is also continuing to absorb your language and beginning to put things into categories, such as learning something is a cat, regardless of color or size. On top of the developmental milestones, many babies are also getting their first teeth or more teeth (it felt like, to me, your baby teethes for what feels like a constant two years). 8,9,or10month old sleep

Your 8, 9, or 10 month old will still need 11-12 hours of sleep at night and 2-3 hours during the day, but as with all developmental milestones, night sleep can be disrupted while your baby is going through this developmental leap. Either they are too busy practicing their new skills (either by choice or impulsively) or their brain is just too wired to settle down (ever have a big meeting, graduation, wedding, or event the next day and can’t sleep?). Your 8 or 9 month old is also likely going through a nap transition and losing the third catnap (if he had it at all). As with most nap transitions, this makes your baby overtired and often even fussier than usual during this sleep regression. Finding a new age-appropriate baby nap schedule can be even more challenging during this sleep regression not only because of the nap transition but also due to the fact that the sleep regression can disrupt naps just like night sleep. Is he not napping because you are trying naps at the wrong time or is it because he is too busy practicing his new skill? Doubts can mount during this time and you might lose confidence in your parenting ability. Your baby might be clingier and fussier because she’s tired and these new changes can make her feel more insecure. Have no fear, there is likely nothing wrong with your parenting or your baby!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM
9 months is a prime time for growth spurt, teething, & major developmental milestones...all which mess up sleep!
Hang in there, sick to your routine as much as possible and know that NOTHING lasts forever...you'll survived this :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:44 AM

He's in the "perfect storm" for bad sleep... have you tried nursing him laying on your bed and then sneaking away once he's out?   Really, you just gotta do whatever you can to make it through the next couple of months.

SarineLewis
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:42 AM
I have no suggestions. My ds is 10 mo old. For the last month and a half his sleep habits have been messed up. He was even staying up until 2 in the morning! I've decided that if he wants to stay up past his bed time and play he can, but it's in an area that is confined (our livingroom, ways blocked off). He is now understanding me more. I'm teaching him that that time is mommy time too. If he whines to get to me I ask if he wants to got to sleep or play. I've noticed lately that he will get excited when I say one thing or the other.
Also, his bedtime got better when I changed his nap time. How many naps does your lo take?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kss12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 8:19 AM
Kylersmom - thank you! I've read about that. He started crawling a few weeks ago and he knows different words and will look to the correct object when we ask him where the clock is. I'm assuming he is overstimulated!
Sewingmanalele- that's hilarious because I do that as a last resort. For a while I did it every day for naps and bedtime. It was hard to break so I'm trying not to get back to that but to keep my sanity I may have to!
SatineLewis- his longest naps are in the morning. His typical routine: wakes between 8 & 9, nap 11-12/12:30, next nap at 3-3:30, next nap 5-5:30, bedtime 8:30/9
sarahsmommy508
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM
My dd is doing this to she is 9.5 months old, i guess ots normal...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)