Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions for those cosleeper mommas

Posted by   + Show Post

I don't want to start a cosleeper non cosleeper debate I just want to know from other mommas experience what helped or worked for them in their transition

I am a new mom for a 1 month old precious baby girl. From day one I had her in a basinette and she was fine slept her usual 2-3 hours and wakes up to nurse etc. Well she recently started getting lots of colic at night and even when I get her to sleep as soon as I put her in the basinette she hates it and when she sleeps its only for a hour or 1.5 hours and just gets so upset moans and groans and doesn't seem to get good sleep.

I noticed that she sleeps very soundly and groans and has less gas complains( we also switched bottles) when she's on our bed so I wanted to try a cosleeper bed that is placed in the middle of the bed. I had a close friend of mine who recommended it because she feels its easier and baby sleeps better so I got it and she loves it and sleeps much better even when she's alone on the bed she's comfy in her cosleeper.

Well I of course a few people tell me that she is going to want to sleep in out bed till she's 5 because we're getting her used to it but I know thats also a slight exaggeration. My friends who cosleep seem to successfully transition to a crib around a year or so.

I want to know what advice do you ladies have for that transition? I do want to try to put her in the basinette again maybe next week I just need to get her a better matress see if its a cushion issue because we all know basinettes have the crappiest matresses.

FYI I dont' have a crib yet because of a space issue when we move hopefully before she's 6 months we will get a crib and will want her to sleep in it. And also don't tell me not to use the cosleeper at all she really gets good rest and Im keeping it.  Thank again

by on Nov. 15, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
peaches_04
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:39 AM
Get a napnanny!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 5:40 AM
My son slept in the bassinette for 2 weeks in bed with me (chest and next to me) for another 2-4 weeks, back in his bassinette for 2 more weeks, and now he is in his crib. He's been there for 3 weeks and is sleeping so good. It is an inconvienice for me when he needs to eat, but he has gotten close to sleeping through the night now that he is in his crib, so it isn't too bad. My advice would be to transition young and allow them to take naps and things in the bassinette so it isn't foreign when you try to transition back. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Raeann11
by Gold Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:13 PM

All my girls co-slept with us and left our room when they were ready too. With all we use a bassinet(play yard) beside our bed for nap times. Then once they are too big. They go into the crib in there room for nap time for a week or two. Then we started to lay them down at night to go to sleep. If they woke up they would come into our bedroom. My oldest stopped sleeping in our bed every night at 8 months, my second it was till she was 2 years every night and sporadically at 3 years old. By 4 years old she was in her bed every night. My third it was 16 months.

Yes from time to time they end up with us because of storms, bad dreams, and being sick.

You need to do what works best for your family. No one knows better they you.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:16 PM

We don't use anything, just baby in bed with us from birth.

We had no issues with a gradual transition into their beds/rooms.

bear.katten
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:20 PM
I would put my son to sleep in his crib the first time he went down at night. Then whenever he woke up I'd put him in bed with me (as long as he'd slept for at least 30 minutes) and gradually the amount of time he slept for that first "sleep time" got longer until he'd stay asleep for 6 hours. Then I started putting him back into his crib after his first feeding around 2am and he'd come into bed with me at his next feeding around 4am. Now he sleeps in his crib until 6am and then sleeps with me but only because I know he will sleep longer in my bed and I need the extra zzzzz's :-) The process took about a month.
bLuEeYeDgIrL312
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:29 PM
First off i never heard of on the bed cosleepers but it sounds great. My dd slept in bed with me for almost 2 months. ( i had a csection and complications after wards) slowly switched to bassinet then to crib at almost 7 months. Its takes time
Also for the colic i recommended Gripe water. I use tje little tummies brand sold at walmary.
DragonX
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I coslept with my daughter fully from 6 weeks to a year when she started sleeping in her own bed for the first part of the night. She could stay there all night but I still bring her into bed with me either when I go to sleep or I wait until she wakes after I go to sleep. The transition was very easy since she was already used to sleeping in a bed. I just laid with her, nursed her, and when she fell asleep I got up. I did skip using a crib though because I didn't know how to transition her there, but she's fine on a mattress right on the floor. I think if you're using the cosleeper it would be even easier to transition her to her own space later because she won't be used to sleeping right up against you all night like mine was.

JasmyneS
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 12:57 PM

My daughter just turned one and she has literally slept on my or my husbands chest, or next to us since day one. Two nights ago was the first time she slept in her pack and play for the first time. She cried for about 15 minutes but we just told her "NO" firmly, gave her a kiss good-night, turned out the lights and didn't acknowledge her cries after that point.
One thing I've learned with having a baby is that it's a battle of wills. If you make a decision you have to stick with it because if you give in once they start to realize that you have a limit and they only have to reach that in order to get what they want. And trust me, they can cry for a very long time as long as they have that thought in mind.
But like I was saying, we didn't acknowledge her crying we just went to bed ourselves and withing a few minutes she stopped crying, watched us sleep, and then just laid down with her teddy and blanket and passed out.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:04 PM
I always started my kids out sleeping in the crib and then when they woke after I was asleep put them into bed with me. This made it so we never had to do a formal transition because they just wound up in their bed all night when they eventually slept through the night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I used a cosleeper bed before but didn't stick with it. I liked to cuddle with her and it was hard to breastfeed in it.

For transitioning, we have a crib with the front off sidecarred to the bed, so it's like an extension. She loves her crib bed!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)