Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Acid Reflux in 2 Month Old

Posted by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM
  • 8 Replies

I recently switched from Similac Advance powder formula to Similac Sensitive powder formula due to stomach troubles and gas. My daughter Charlotte (2mths.) was also just diagnosed with acid reflux which i think had something to do with the SImilac Advance bothering her stomach. Weird, huh?  Anyone else's baby have acid reflux?

Multicultural Families

www.Cafemom.com/group/culturecafe

Where moms of children with different ethnic backgrounds come together.

by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
BlissBagshaw
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM

My son had issues when he was little.  We started with Similac Advance, which made him super super colicy/refluxy...  Then we tried Sensitive, which didn't make any difference.  Finally we had to put him on Soy, and that fixed him up in a week.  He was on Soy from 6 weeks to 9 months of age, and then we weaned him onto Enfamil Premium (which is like Similac Advance) and he's been fine.  Some babies just have NO tolerance for milk-based formulas for the first several months of their life.  After all, they aren't born with a tolerance for cow's milk, and that's what formula (non-soy, I mean) is made from.   Did your pediatrician recommend making a switch?

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM
My first had it so bad that he had to get Prevacid and a prescription formula.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DutchBaby12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Yes, I'm a new mom so I don't really do anything without first consulting my pediatrician :p

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

My son had issues when he was little.  We started with Similac Advance, which made him super super colicy/refluxy...  Then we tried Sensitive, which didn't make any difference.  Finally we had to put him on Soy, and that fixed him up in a week.  He was on Soy from 6 weeks to 9 months of age, and then we weaned him onto Enfamil Premium (which is like Similac Advance) and he's been fine.  Some babies just have NO tolerance for milk-based formulas for the first several months of their life.  After all, they aren't born with a tolerance for cow's milk, and that's what formula (non-soy, I mean) is made from.   Did your pediatrician recommend making a switch?

Multicultural Families

DutchBaby12
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:35 AM

wow, i hope i don't end up having to do that!

Quoting expectantmom81:

Multicultural Families

BlissBagshaw
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I was a first-time mom with my son, too, and I wound up going by A) my own instincts, and B) the advice of a lot of experienced moms here on CafeMom, lol.  My pediatrician actually told me to wait another 6 weeks before switching my son's formula to soy, even though he was in constant pain from gas and reflux.  He was puking all the time and never slept...  "Just see what happens"..... So I told him to bite me and made the switch - and it was the right decision.   My pediatrician is one of those guys that only knows about babies from books he read in college, though.  I don't think he really gets that all babies are different :/

Quoting DutchBaby12:

Yes, I'm a new mom so I don't really do anything without first consulting my pediatrician :p

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

expectantmom81
by Erin on Nov. 16, 2012 at 1:08 PM
He would projectile vomit all the time. Even two hours after eating. As long as that isn't happening you should be fine.

Quoting DutchBaby12:

wow, i hope i don't end up having to do that!

Quoting expectantmom81:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Nov. 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Both my kids were switched to soy at the hospital. Both did well on enfamil prosobee soy. Ds (4) transitioned to cows milk just fine. Dd is only 9 months so she's still on the soy. Were trying dairy with her but just a little. Like cheese and yogurt. I'm lactose intolerant myself so wasn't sure if ds or dd would have that same problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DutchBaby12
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Yes I can understand that. Good thing you made the switch yourself. My ped. is a bit different though, he's very thorough, direct and you can just tell he knows his shit.

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

I was a first-time mom with my son, too, and I wound up going by A) my own instincts, and B) the advice of a lot of experienced moms here on CafeMom, lol.  My pediatrician actually told me to wait another 6 weeks before switching my son's formula to soy, even though he was in constant pain from gas and reflux.  He was puking all the time and never slept...  "Just see what happens"..... So I told him to bite me and made the switch - and it was the right decision.   My pediatrician is one of those guys that only knows about babies from books he read in college, though.  I don't think he really gets that all babies are different :/

Quoting DutchBaby12:

Quoting BlissBagshaw:

Multicultural Families

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN