Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

NEED Newborn HELP! Falling asleep behind the breast...

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM
  • 13 Replies

I'm really worried about this. We were just released yesterday and labor started after having a good night's rest Monday night, around 5 am Tuesday morning. Since it began up to today I've slept a total of about 8 hours - so something like 96 hours total. Yeah, I'm about out of the whole new mommy adreneline. I am certain this massive lack of sleep is playing a huge part in this, but none the less I'm concerned that once I have accomplished sleep this issue might continue. Every single time I feed the baby (breastfeeding only) I get an overwhelming urge to sleep. Like I can be in the go go go mood and as soon as she starts eating my eyes get so heavy, often to the point I have to take turns keeping one open. Seems like about 15 minutes after she finishes eating it wears off and I am back in go go go mode. Hubby and I are taking shifts right now for sleep because we're afraid as ridiculously over tired as we already are we won't wake to her cries (I know it takes me screaming and shaking him to get him to wake) Anyways I was on the "wake" shift started feeding her, and I dozed! I feel so awful and freaking scared. I mean my breasts are bigger like way bigger than her whole head and I am so scared she's going to suffocate. She likes to really put her face into it, so while she eats I have to use one hand to hold my breast clear of her nose so she can still breathe while nursing. Thank God we fell asleep in a position where she wasn't dug in to my breast!!! Any input is appreciated, why am I getting so insanely sleepy while she nurses? Is this common? How can I fix this? Please and thanks from one nervous new mommy!

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 4:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SOCO101
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:02 AM

I didn't bf, but here's a bump.

When dd was about a week old I did doze off sitting straight up holding her. I didn't wake up for at least an hour and it scared me to death. I cried and felt so bad. After that I started trying to get little naps in every time she was asleep. It helped, but I'd still wake up startled that something had happened to her. 

sweetpn12b
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 5:52 AM
Ur baby won't let u suffocate them if ur breast covers their nose they open their mouth, turn their heads, or struggle most times all three. Have u tried laying in the bed on ur side and feeding that way if u fall asleep ur lo is safe
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 6:36 AM

I don't have any great advice on how to help this situation, but I can tell you that when you nurse, your body releases a hormone that can make you feel all kinds of things, depending on your individual reaction--happy, calm, sleepy, even nauseous. For me, I would get calm (not usually sleepy, though) and nauseous--fun, right? Never to the point where I actually thought I would throw up, just sort of vaguely queasy.

So the sleepiness itself isn't anything to worry about, but I would see if you can talk to a lactation consultant or post-partum doula; I had a PP doula after giving birth and she was so helpful in getting breastfeeding off to a good start. She was expensive, but so completely worth it because we live far away from any family, so we really needed someone to help us out.

MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:08 AM
Put your hand on your nose and mush it flat.... our noses are designed so that suffocating is not extremely easy. And like pp said she will STRUGGLE if she cannot breath. Breastfeeding also changes your hormones and makes you more in tuned with your baby. I promise it is safe to sleep when she does. In fact if you don't it's more unsafe! You need your rest in order to take care of her properly. If you are afraid her cries won't wake you set an alarm for 2 hours after her last feeding, lay on the couch with her asleep in her bassinet next to you. Once you are not EXHAUSTED which it sounds like you are right now it is safe to feed in a side lying position and feel free to doze during! I don't even realize when my son latches on anymore!
MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:13 AM
Also come join our bfing group!
norahsmommy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 7:21 AM
Lay on your bed on your side and lay baby next to you. Sleep while nursing her. You won't suffocate her and you won't roll on her. Just don't cover up in a thick blanket. Only a sheet or very thin blanket if you cover and make sure it's nowhere near baby. You have to sleep whenever you can. I've bf 4 kids and did this with all of them. It's safe and healthy and you will feel much better once you get some sleep.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angevil53
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:20 AM
This is completely normal. These hormones make you feel almost high right? It did with me but it stopped around ten days or so. It's just new mom hormones telling your brain baby is about to sleep (bc a full nb will sleep after feeding) and you should rest too. There is a bfing thing that has a little light on it that vibrates if you fall asleep. Idk what its called but just Google bf light and attaches to your bra so you remember what side you used.
comptonkids
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:51 AM
It's normal!! My son is 15 months and I STILL get super tired while he nurses

It will take practice and some frustration, but if you can and baby learn to nurse in the side laying position...SO much better AND you can sleep while baby nurses

Unless you are taking medications that induce sleep, mommys are hard wired to NOT roll over onto baby, it's a 6th sense and even if you are EXHAUSTED...you will not suffocate your baby
squeakers2
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM
I have a bigger chest (A little bigger than 38DD before pregnancy. Absolutely terrified to find out what I am now) and was scared of the same thing when breastfeeding. There has been a few times where my son's breathing was limited by my breast and he'd pull off and breathe. I have fallen asleep feeding a couple times. After about the 3rd time, I started feeding laying down at night. You not sleeping is going to cause more harm than anything else. I used to be like your husband. The world could crash down around me and I'd sleep through it. Since having my daughter 3 yrs ago, I am not as bad. Even if your husband doesn't hear her, you will. I know its scary being a first time mom, but you have to take care of yourself too. Sleep when baby is sleeping. Things will get easier, I promise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
westtxmomtobe
by on Nov. 24, 2012 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks you guys so so much! Shortly after making this post Ella had her 2 day follow up with the delivering hospital and I brought this up. It really does scare me. SO apparently its the "mommy hormone" or something called oxytocin in the brain making me sleepy. Totally normal. LOL I have since been able to sleep, oh it's so wonderful :D I did start doing the alarm clock thing the first couple nights but was pointless, she'd wake me before it went off. I was mostly frightened because I am normally a dead sleeper, but kinda interesting that even just her kicking or wiggling in the bassinett near my bed will wake me. And man that girl has got a good set of lungs! I'm totally doing the mommy thing :D The whole side sleeping while she nurses I've tried, and I've dozed while doing it. It's a little scary because dh and I sleep in the same bed, I'm way to scared to put her to the side of me that's near the edge and a little scared about putting her on dh side, he's just so hard of a sleeper. But I've been building a wall between her and him while she nurses to be safe, in case I do doze off. I also lay in a way that my arm is crammed under me and props my breast clear of her. Super uncomfy but I still managed to doze off and feel better about knowing she's breathing ok. Thanks again ladies, and I'm going hunting now for the bf group :D

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)