Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Santa Clause

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM
  • 19 Replies
My dd is 17 months and I'm not sure if I want to teach her about Santa or not.
Should I teach her about Santa or not? Please help me decide. Give me reasons for or against Santa.
CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM
I think Santa is a fun fairy tale to teach children. We however are going to down play Santa and up play Jesus. We are Christian and want to make sure that our children understand the reason for Christmas is not gifts and Santa, however that is a fun part of it. In our home, Santa will bring stocking stuffer gifts only (candy, pencils, cheap toys, socks, underwear, ect)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susie3g
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM
I don't see a reason to lie to the children just to have their hearts broken later on when they find out mommy and daddy lied. In our house, even white lies are a no-no. They will still enjoy Christmas just as much knowing mom and dad bought the presents ... speaking from experience.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alandou
by April on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:52 AM

we didnt really choose to do it or not. as children, my dh and I were lead to believe the fat man was real, so it's been talked about in our house. when I found out he wasnt real, I didnt bawl or anything. I just kind of figured it out on my own. it's just a matter of personal preference but unless you teach your reasons for not allowing Santa in the picture, it's not going to make sense to your child why he's not allowed to be around your home/life. It might be kind of confusing to him because he'll see Santa EVERYWHERE...

preacherskid
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Mine may be the odd ball opinion, here goes.  We don't do Santa.  I grew up knowing some people thought Santa brought toys etc, but that Santa was just make believe based on a guy who used to do nice things, combined with cultural superstitions.  I understood who the gifts were from, and thanked them for the gifts.  I see no need to teach my kids that a stranger brings them gifts based on their behavior, when I can instead teach them that Granny and Pappy or Gramma Holly and Papaw Dan or DH and I got them gifts because we love them, and good behavior is something you should be following all the time, not just when it can get you something.  In the larger picture, we also emphasize the reason WE observe Christmas, that it is the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ, who ultimately gave His life as a gift for us.... I am not big on the commercial, gift giving, how much stuff can you get side of the holidays.  For me, and for DH and hopefully the kids, it is a time to celebrate the birth of Christ and to see family we don't normally see.

DH's family does not agree with our views, so it is a constant battle reminding them we don't do Santa- they take it so far I get gifts from "Santa"!  This is your choice- if you do decide on no Santa, be prepared to give your reasons and then close the discussion.  We don't try to convince people not to do Santa, and we don't let anyone argue with us and try to get us to do Santa- parents' choice.

Duquesne
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
We practice Hannukah. .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Dd will be 18 months at Christmas. I'm not planning on starting Santa until next year. We celebrate the holiday for what it is, and I plan to use Santa how it was used when as a child, where he's honoring and celebrating the birthday of Jesus. My mother has a beautiful statue of baby Jesus in the manger with Santa kneeling beside him praying. That sort of sums up how I want to represent him to dd. But, I think she's too young this year to grasp the concept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Action_Jaxon
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM
love this! the image of santa kneeling before the manger is beautiful. Id never heard of it done that way before. Could you ellaborate in a pm? if you dont mind, i think it would be a beautiful thing to teach my son.

Quoting Turtledoves:

Dd will be 18 months at Christmas. I'm not planning on starting Santa until next year. We celebrate the holiday for what it is, and I plan to use Santa how it was used when as a child, where he's honoring and celebrating the birthday of Jesus. My mother has a beautiful statue of baby Jesus in the manger with Santa kneeling beside him praying. That sort of sums up how I want to represent him to dd. But, I think she's too young this year to grasp the concept.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ninjabubble
by Bronze Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM
My son will know about Santa thanks to my mother. She still tries to convince ME Santa is real.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

I so want to find a statue just like it, but I've never seen one. She managed to get it at a yard sale years ago, and so far I can't find anyone like it!

What we do is celebrate Jesus, and sort of act as if Santa is another guest to the party. Some of our favorite traditions as children was making a "Happy Birthday, Jesus" cake on Christmas Eve. Also on Christmas Eve we always lit a candle in the window that represented our house being open to Jesus, and then say a special family Christmas prayer. Christmas morning was still all about the gifts and being excited for what Santa brought, but afterwards we'd have Birthday cake and a huge meal. All of my siblings and I would put on a production, where we'd actually build a manger out of anything we could, dress up in characters of Mary, Joseph, Angels, Jesus, etc and sing Christmas songs. I think we'd do this Christmas Eve night.

Lots of traditions that center around the meaning of Christmas, while working Santa in and while we were also always thankful to Santa and so excited for him like any other family, he was more of a secondary for the holiday as a whole.

Quoting Action_Jaxon:

love this! the image of santa kneeling before the manger is beautiful. Id never heard of it done that way before. Could you ellaborate in a pm? if you dont mind, i think it would be a beautiful thing to teach my son.

Quoting Turtledoves:

in lovebaby girlpuppy
Babywearing, co-sleeping, exclusively breastfeeding, AP, natural birthing, happily married SAH Mommy to Katherine Isabelle.

robibuni
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I'm all for Santa!

Growing up, we never had a lot of money and didn't get much for Christmas, but regardless of how little we got, knowing Santa had thought of my brother and I, and left a little "Thanks for the cookies" note for us, meant the world...it made Christmas magical :)

I'm all about making Christmas magical, and thusly, my girls know about Santa! Well, my 3 year old does. My 8 month old is too young, lol.

ETA: I'm Atheist so I do not celebrate a Christian Christmas...purely secular.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)