Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Advice Needed: Starting on solids.

Posted by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 7 Replies

I want to start feeding my days shy of 6 month old Gerber foods. Do I need to feed him the same "flavor" for multiple days and check for allergies? Or can we do different things during the day? If it is just one, for how long do I give him the same stuff? We want to do fruits for breakfast, veggies for lunch and then meats for dinner. I don't know how to get him started. I don't remember how we did it with our first(He's 9 now).  How much do I give him? How often? 

Thank you. 

by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Research baby led weaning (aka baby led solids.) It's so much easier and cheaper then doing purees!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenniferw10
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Offer one kind for three days. Recommend starting with a veggie first. So for example squash for three days, sweet potato for three days and you can use squash then add a fruit. Every thre days allows enough time to expose a potential allergy and you gain more options. Meats aren't recommended for quite some time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TexanMomOf6
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Quoting jenniferw10:

Offer one kind for three days. Recommend starting with a veggie first. So for example squash for three days, sweet potato for three days and you can use squash then add a fruit. Every thre days allows enough time to expose a potential allergy and you gain more options. Meats aren't recommended for quite some time.

I agree for the most part. Once I introduced fruits to my babies, they wouldn't eat veges! I had to have a jar of each and scoop a tad of vege, then add a little fruit so they would eat it. Meat is really hard to digest, I would wait until closer to 18 months or so. My youngest is 27 months and is vegetarian by HIS choice. I still offer meats, but he only has a bite or 2. As far as how much at any feeding, I would just feed them until they started spitting it out or refusing it. I let them nurse or have some formula whenever they wanted too. They know when they are hungry!!!

Blue_Spiral
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't go for the gerber foods.

I would just mash up yams, veggies, avocado, etc.

Plain yogurt maybe. I would mix bananas and yogurt for my son when he was that age and he loved it. He still loves plain yogurt. 

I am Kaela, a proud 24 year old atheist, pro-choice, single Mama to full-term breastfed, co-sleeping, freebirthed, intact, lucky little Wolfgang!

Blue_Spiral
by on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Oh yeah, and make sure they nurse before eating.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Nov. 17, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Also, I wouldn't introduce food 3x a day at the start... do once a day until he's tried most foods, and then you can start doing twice a day for a while, etc...

Like the others, I would (and do!) skip the commercial babyfood.   If you want to spoon feed, start with mashed sweet potato, avocado, banana, etc... if you want to self feed, anything he can pick up is fine.  :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
RinoaHatake
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Thank you all! 

I gave him some sweet potatoes today. So basicly once day for 3 days right? And yes, I wasn't going to start him off with the 3 a day yet. Though, he liked his sweet potatoes more than he did his cereal today. I was more concern about the exposure time. Thank you!!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN