Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Three week old sleeps all day! Is this normal?

Posted by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
  • 11 Replies
My three week old sleeps all day. Literally. I try and keep her up for a bit but she just goes back to sleep. I know it's a little early to get a schedule going, but I figured if she was up a little during the day she might sleep better at night.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lauratupper
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

pretty normal for her age.

Nickie76
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Wanna trade??? My 6 week old twins are up all day and night! I have no sympathy and yes it's normal lolololol....

PEEK05
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

As long as she's eating and not jaundice, there is no issue.  On demand sleep is best, especially at her age! :)

luvmibbies
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM

mine was always alseep during the day and up all night, and my son slept all night and was up all day.....we just tried to keep her up a little bit more during the day each day until she got her schedule flipped around it was a very very exhausting two months but we made it through and now at one year she still sleeps about 12 hrs at night and takes 2 2hr naps during the day my son how ever only slept about 10 hrs at night and took a 1 hr nap during the day all kids are differant it's hard to say whats "normal"

Aleshad01
by Bronze Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 6:06 PM
My baby is 2 weeks old and sleeps most of the time. She is awake 1-2 hours at a time during the morning and evening but other then that she's sleeping.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM
My ds slept a lot for the first 2 months. He slpet decently at night too. Dd slept a lot for the first 2 weeks. After that she was awake a lot during the day and would sleep minimum of 4 hours at a time at night. My kids slept through the night at 10 weeks and 14 weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BUFFIE.the.BODY
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Normal
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseBud93
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:38 AM

That is very normal.
but doing the 'try to keep her awake' thing works for my daughter. we started off just trying to keep her awake for an extra hour or two at a time when she would wake up. then its easier to KEEP her awake longer.  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Yes, it's normal. At this age, they pretty much sleep, wake up to eat, have a diaper change and look around a bit, and then go back to sleep. If you read Dr. Weissbluth's book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, he says that at three weeks a baby should be awake for only about 45 minutes to an hour at a time. Sounds crazy, I know, but I found that to really be the case!

She may be waking up at night, though because of sleeping too LONG at one time during the day and not eating enough during the day. She may have her days and nights mixed up. Remember that when she was in your womb, there was no day/night, so babies aren't born knowing that day is for being awake and night is for sleeping! When my daughter was a newborn, we didn't let her sleep for more than three hours at a time and made sure she was nursing at least every 2-3 hours during the day. We also kept things pretty bright and lively during the day, and then quiet and subdued at night. When she woke up to eat at night, we would keep the lights off and keep things very quiet so she started to learn the difference between day and night. But the truth is that she may continue to wake frequently at night for several more weeks. It's actually something she's biologically designed to do at this age as a safeguard against SIDS.

Truly, if you haven't read the Weissbluth book yet, do so ASAP. Yes, he is the "sleep-training guy", but even if you don't agree with sleep training, he gives really invaluable advice on how infant sleep works. Once we realized how much sleep newborns need and started working within the "two-hour window" that he talks about, our lives completely changed. It was also very helpful once we started trying to get her on a nap routine.

ncohetero
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM
Sounds normal. Don't try to manipulate her sleep patterns this early
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)