Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My baby is 5 days old and she is wanting to feed every hour for about 30-45 min literally she is alwaya on the boob. is this normal or is she not getting enough and thats why she always wants to be on the boob???

CafeMom Tickers
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
Randi02
by Platinum Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:19 PM
This is completely normal :)

Please don't offer bottles, or use shields. Just nurse on demand, and this will pass as baby gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly this! :)

Quoting Randi02:

This is completely normal :)

Please don't offer bottles, or use shields. Just nurse on demand, and this will pass as baby gets older.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Brandy85412
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Normal!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LKRA
by on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:27 PM

1111111000000000% normal

KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
OP totally normal. It gets better.

Offering a bottle this early isn't a good idea. Baby eats often in the beginning because they are trying to establish a good supply. Breastmilk also digests in about 90 minutes and babies have tiny bellies(roughly the size of baby's fist.) A baby takes in between 24 and 30 ounces a day. Pumping would create twice the work.

Quoting sikkr:

Just cause she spends that long on the boob doesn't mean she is sucking hard enough to milk with every suck. Have you thought of pumping so she fills up on one feeding and give you boobs a rest?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KylersMom8-16-7
by Gold Member on Nov. 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM
Nipple shields can lessen the amount of milk the baby gets; they also can reduce milk supply if the baby is not getting as much milk as they would from the straight breast. The mother may also be at an increased risk of getting clogged ducts, or mastitis. Using a nipple shield before exhausting all other techniques can affect the baby’s ability to transfer to a bare breast, making breastfeeding almost impossible. Consequently, weaning the baby off the shield can be difficult.

Quoting sikkr:

I used a nipple shield in the beginning and it helped her get the most out of nursing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Nov. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Normal and stressful, I remember those days, lol

It's wonderful and stressful I guess I should say, lol

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:51 AM
The first 6 weeks are one LONG nursing session. The best way to tell if baby is getting enough to eat is by the diaper count. Today baby should have used 5 total diapers, and tomorrow 6 total diapers. What goes in, must come out.
Blue_Spiral
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 4:42 AM

It's completely normal and healthy. You're doing great.

RoseBud93
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:21 AM

thats how I was for my mom... however my mom had to work and couldnt produce enough milk for me, so I had to be put on a bottle after a few months.
I am breast feeding my daughter and I went from having too much milk to now, not enough. -.- be happy your baby is building your supply. you dont want to be put in my situation. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN