Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Umbilical hernia??

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM
  • 12 Replies
My baby girl is 10 days old and her stump fell off last night. I think she has a umbilical hernia from what google says. Lol!

It looks like a little tip of a finger sticking up. She has a appt on the 21 so I will talk with her pedi then. But has anyone's baby's had this? What happens? Do you do anything, or leave it? Will it go away?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babygomez
by April on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I have no experience with this.

Bump.

graycalico
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

My son has an inguinal hernia, which is different, but from what I've read hernias don't go away themselves.  They usually need repaired.  The risk is that while the hernia doesn't hurt, eventually some intestines can slip through and get cut off which is serious.  My son's repair is a day thing atleast.  Hope your dd doesn't have one!

LMEMomma05
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:11 PM
My son had an umbilical hernia. There was nothing to do. My doctor said it would more than likely fix itself. It doesn't hurt them or anything. Hes got an outtie for a belly button. My son also had an inguinal hernia as well as a hydrocele. He had surgery that was less than an hour and is all healed from that. He was 14 months when he had it done and now he's 21 months with no issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cpflum08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cpflum08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I posted a pic so you could see.

Quoting graycalico:

My son has an inguinal hernia, which is different, but from what I've read hernias don't go away themselves.  They usually need repaired.  The risk is that while the hernia doesn't hurt, eventually some intestines can slip through and get cut off which is serious.  My son's repair is a day thing atleast.  Hope your dd doesn't have one!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cpflum08
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM
I posted a pic, tell me what you think?

Quoting LMEMomma05:

My son had an umbilical hernia. There was nothing to do. My doctor said it would more than likely fix itself. It doesn't hurt them or anything. Hes got an outtie for a belly button. My son also had an inguinal hernia as well as a hydrocele. He had surgery that was less than an hour and is all healed from that. He was 14 months when he had it done and now he's 21 months with no issues.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bpryce
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM
My bff's ds had an umbilical hernia and it stuck out a good inch or two, her ds is 20months now and it has gone away.

My dd is 9days old, her belly button sticks out a bit, i asked her dr at her newborn check up if it was an umbilical hernia. The dr said no, and told me it might be an outtie or when she gets chubbier it might be an innie. Just ask your dr at the next appt.
bpryce
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM
Just saw the pic......thats what my dd's belly button looks like

Quoting bpryce:

My bff's ds had an umbilical hernia and it stuck out a good inch or two, her ds is 20months now and it has gone away.

My dd is 9days old, her belly button sticks out a bit, i asked her dr at her newborn check up if it was an umbilical hernia. The dr said no, and told me it might be an outtie or when she gets chubbier it might be an innie. Just ask your dr at the next appt.
robibuni
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD2 had one.

Her pedi said most of the time, it goes away by 6 months. Hers went away at 4 months. He said if it doesn't go away, they might try surgery around a year.

LMEMomma05
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 1:23 PM
That's not what ds' looked like when his stump fell off. But if you're unsure, called the pedi and make an appointment. But as long as she doesn't seem like she's in pain or anything I'd wait till her next appointment.

Quoting cpflum08:

I posted a pic, tell me what you think?

Quoting LMEMomma05:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN