Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

not sure what else to try...

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM
  • 17 Replies

DS2 is 8 months old and his ped keeps asking me if he is eating things on his own yet... and I have to keep telling her no; I know that he should be and DS1 at this age was too (he had more teeth though). I have tried the Gerber puffs, the teething biscuits, cheerio's... all of which he HATES, and yes I have been trying all of them for a couple months now. Not sure what else to give him to try to get him to eat on his own. Any ideas?

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tiffs2009
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM
My son was 10 months before he did that and he is fine
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aniters
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:28 PM
my son just started a month ago. he's about to be 1.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Baby_Avas_Momma
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Give soft chunks of real food. If he eats it, great. If he doesn't, not a big deal. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1L2CMommy
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Yuck! I wouldn't eat that cardboard either. At that age my DD had 2-3 teeth and she could handle soft banannas, peeled grapes, pasta, cooked carrots, mashed or soft sweet potatoes, oranges without the membrane, strawberries, melon, tiny pieces of chicken. All of these and everything else I gave her we cut up into tiny tiny pieces.
Try giving him something not processed and that tastes good and see how he does.
Larsbug
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:37 PM

yeah he has his 2 bottom and is cutting his two top...one is barely poking through...he doesn't like baby food bananas but maybe he would real ones...gonna try mashed potatoes on Thursday lol. I know I should remember this stuff from DS1 but I don't... do you think that level 3 foods would help him better with consistancy stuff? He always looks at me like he's going to choke.

Quoting 1L2CMommy:

Yuck! I wouldn't eat that cardboard either. At that age my DD had 2-3 teeth and she could handle soft banannas, peeled grapes, pasta, cooked carrots, mashed or soft sweet potatoes, oranges without the membrane, strawberries, melon, tiny pieces of chicken. All of these and everything else I gave her we cut up into tiny tiny pieces.
Try giving him something not processed and that tastes good and see how he does.

1L2CMommy
by Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:47 PM
I get how nervous it can be giving them table food when they don't have many/any teeth. DD had a mouthful at a year old, and ate pork chops for her birthday dinner!! DD #2 has 5 teeth and will be a year old on Friday. So I'm always nervous she's going to choke. She has got stuff stuck a few times, but manages to work it down or up! We've had 2 different pedi's with her because we moved and both recommended letting her work it out on her own. It's how they learn. Of course 80% ends up on the floor anyway.
I think if you can probably offer him the stage 3 stuff if you want, but would you eat that stuff?? Lol! Try tiny bits of good tasting fresh fruit and soft cooked veggies that have some text to them. He'll probably play with it at first because it's different, but once some makes it in his mouth he'll probably take off. Good luck!
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:55 PM

DD didn't really eat at 8 months, she just wasn't interested. Once she turned 9 1/2 months though, she started eating like crazy. Some kids just take longer to start solids than others. I wouldn't push too hard, solids are only for practice the first year.

kirstina
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM
i wouldnt worry about it. baby doesnt really need it yet its just practice. offer it and she will eat it when she is ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amy1763
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Dd would eat all the puffs and baby food at that age and she is 14 months now. Im having a hard time getting her to eat anything that isnt really super smooth. I try everyday but still no go. Theyre all different it might take some time.

pinkiebabii
by Bronze Member on Nov. 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM
The puffs are yummy. LOL. I eat them with ds. He is 99% breastfed so I figure a couple puffs a day aren't too bad. I also give him "real" food too.

Quoting 1L2CMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)