Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

My preemie is having surgery

Posted by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM
  • 10 Replies

My preemie is 12 years old now. Born at 30 weeks was only 4lbs.

He has a vsd,but thats not what they are worried about. In Jan he is having open heart surgery.

We have not said anything to him or to the other kids. He knows he has a specail heart.

Wife to Dave and mommy of four.

Steven,Alex,Mikey and Sammie

by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ProudMommy51006
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM
I would just tell him. My 6 year old has Mitral Valve Regurgitation, surgery was a possibility. I have been completely honest with her. Just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommyoffour89
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

He has been going to this doc since birth so he knows that he has a specai heart. i dont want to scray or worry him. its major surgery.. i would not even know where to start

aimesnyc
by on Nov. 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Maybe have the doctor explain it to him?   He needs to know about it sometime soon - you can't wait until the day of, that's for sure.

abra
by Abra on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM
((hugs))
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 12:11 AM
I have the same. My dr hasnt mentioned surgery.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

I would just tell him. My 6 year old has Mitral Valve Regurgitation, surgery was a possibility. I have been completely honest with her. Just my opinion.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommyO2-6631
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:21 AM
((Hugs)) i would at least wait a little while to tell him. Maybe after christmas? He's so young and he may worry himself sick if he has too long to think about it. Just my opinion.
Mommy2235
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:30 AM
My daughter Addison had Transpositions of the Great Arteries. She had it repaired at a few days old. When she had open heart surgery she was only 4lbs and 8oz. We didn't know if she would make it or not. She is now 5 and the meanest kid I have.lol she knows she is special because of her scars. She always says one of her scars is her second belly button.lol
ProudMommy51006
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:32 AM
My dd's cardiologist has. Right now we are in the "in between window" if it get anymore severe, we will start profolaxis.... If then, it still gets more severe, she will have surgery to replace that valve.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

I have the same. My dr hasnt mentioned surgery.

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Yea, I would say something. Another poster said after Christmas, I agree. Just don't say it in a worrisome way. Kwim? I kind of talk in a "matter of fact" fashion with my dd... but then, my dd's cardiologist is great in explaining the necessary details to her in a way that is age appropriate. She has know what and why and the next step with the cardiologist from day one.... But then again, it's only been 9 months since we have been seeing the cardiologist and she knows she was sick and has a heart murmur and that's why we started going there to get pictures of her heart. So, I'm of no help because it's a different situation.

((hugs)) He is in my thoughts for strength... And you as well.

Quoting Mommyoffour89:

He has been going to this doc since birth so he knows that he has a specai heart. i dont want to scray or worry him. its major surgery.. i would not even know where to start

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
erikays
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I would say something a few days after Christmas. I'll be keeping your family in my thoughts. Make sure to update us :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)