Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

STOP WITH THE RICE CEREAL!!!

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
  • 99 Replies
5 moms liked this
Did you know how very bad rice cereal is for your baby?

I have had SOOO many people trying to force me to give rice cereal to my 3 month old son and I've had it. So I did some research and talked to our pediatrician about it and this is the gist of what I found out:

Babies CANNOT digest rice cereal! They do not produce the enzyme (or enough of it) to break rice cereal down (OR other cereals, breads, crackers or other grains) so it literally rots in their stomach. Yes it can make them sleep longer but the risks far outweigh the benefits. "They" actually dont suggest giving a baby grains until at least after their first birthday when they can digest it better.

I know many of you will say "Well I did it with my LO and he/she never had any problems" and I believe you. Not every child shows obvious signs of damage, but that doesnt mean it hasnt done some damage! Please read this article before you post your opinion because these are FACTS.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/right-way-to-feed-babies/

Sorry if its not "clickable"

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM
5 moms liked this
I was "fine" too. Now I've got autoimmune disease from it.
People just don't get that the recommendations against cereal and promoting breastfeeding have everything to do with health as an adult and very little to do with anything in infancy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bear.katten
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you! That is exactly the kinds of problems feeding your baby incorrectly causes! And sometimes the problem isnt detected until years later so the parents dont contribute it to what THEY did but it is their fault. All they had to do was do some research (maybe not your parents because I'm not sure when this information started becoming available but parents now a days have this info and still do it!) I especially hate those parents who do it so their baby will sleep longer. They are willing to risk their babies health for a few more hours of sleep!

Quoting larissalarie:

People just don't get that the recommendations against cereal and promoting breastfeeding have everything to do with health as an adult and very little to do with anything in infancy.

ceckyl
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
This exactly. I've got digestive issues and allergies as an adult that were never apparent to my mom when she was feeding me as an infant.

Quoting larissalarie:

KAP4198
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM
3 moms liked this
Omg. I never knew till I joined this sure! My 3 year old had them as a baby but I guess I won't be giving them to my 3 month EVER! Thank you!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Bump
notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Great post! People think it helps or they want to get some rest but don't seem to want to believe that the life long implications of ruining your childs gut are a big deal at all.

bear.katten
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I'm glad I could help! I will keep reposting this for a while so that the information gets out there!

Quoting KAP4198:

Omg. I never knew till I joined this sure! My 3 year old had them as a baby but I guess I won't be giving them to my 3 month EVER! Thank you!!

ktinaza
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:23 AM
Yep
bear.katten
by on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this
It makes me sick when I hear a parent say "well they are sleeping through the night now and I needed my rest" You knew you wouldnt be getting rest for a long time when you chose to have a baby! Dont hurt their body because you want to sleep!!!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Great post! People think it helps or they want to get some rest but don't seem to want to believe that the life long implications of ruining your childs gut are a big deal at all.

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Nov. 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I did know that. I had many people, including her doctor, saying to start ride cereal at 4-5 months. I never did, it wasn't needed. She was fully breastfed until 9 months (and at the 98% tile) when she went straight to table foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN