Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies
How long does it take for my milk to come in ?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:13 AM
Replies (11-19):
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Generally about 3 days but it can come in faster or take a little longer.  Until then you should produce enough colostrum to keep baby plenty, there is no need to supplement with formula or anything. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM

A few days

calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:15 PM
After 1st baby my milk came in after 4 days. After 2nd baby it was 2 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hatred4none
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Idk about you but mine took two days

Emma1918
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 6:21 PM
Will she be okay until it comes in
stargazerwolf
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Colostrum is produced for like the first two days then by the 3rd real milk usually is in. She may feed a lot, like every hour and some even every half hour at first to get things going and get enough. They do "cluster" feeding after the first day usually where they want to almost constantly eat. She will be fine as long as you feed her when she cries for it. Bleeding for my first, which was a csection lasted 2 weeks, for the my second which was a vaginal birth it lasted almost 4 weeks (don't know why the difference). Usually newborns are asleep if they aren't eating, they may be awake for very short times here and there and generally feed every two hours or more, but mostly just sleep, eat and fill diapers. :)

Emma1918
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:21 PM
Like the hospital is discharging me tomorrow :) but she is eating alot like she is on my boob so much today!! She well fall asleep when she is on my boob eating and she gets fussy when I take her off
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Quoting Emma1918:

Like the hospital is discharging me tomorrow :) but she is eating alot like she is on my boob so much today!! She well fall asleep when she is on my boob eating and she gets fussy when I take her off

She will probably do that for much of the first 6 weeks.   :)    Right now, she's telling your body to start making milk (and the colostrum she's recieving is plenty for her... it's just that her stomach is soo tiny!).  She is growing rapidly right now, and establishing your milk supply... so nursing frquently is to be expected.   Also expect growth spurts around 7-10 days, 3 weeks and 6 weeks... she will want to nurse even more around those times and may get frustrated at the breast.  Competely normal, just keep nursing.

If you ever become concerned, count diapers.   You want one change per day of life up to day 6, and then 5-6 per day after that.   If she's wetting diapers, she's not starving, she's just acting like she is.   :)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Emma1918
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 8:31 PM
Like of I take her off bc she is sleeping she starts to cry and went u put her back on she goes to sleep
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN