Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Wil it always hurt

Posted by   + Show Post
Will it always hurt to breast feed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
militarywife09
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:26 PM
I hate people who misinform and say its not supposed to hurt. It WILL hurt. Think about it, a human is using it for food every couple of hours. This misinformation is the reason (well partly anyway) why I quit. Nipples are not supposed to crack and bleed though. For me the latch hurt, and then everything was smooth sailing. But everytime Id feed her that first latch was painful.
Emma1918
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:28 PM
Like everyone I know has said I should breastfeed bc it's the best thing for baby
robibuni
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
There should be discomfort and possibly pain at first. However, if your hospital has a lactation consultant, ask to see her to double check the latch looks good :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Is it hurting the entire feeding, or just when baby first latches on?   Latch on pain is normal and it will go away in a couple weeks... but if it hurts the entire time, you need to ask to see the LC and see if baby is latching correctly.

SewingMamaLele
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Caluses?!  Gah... that sounds awful. 

Quoting abra:

You are building up caluses on your nipples. I remember crying everytime I fed my first newborn for the first couple days. It got much better after that. Hang in there! ((hugs))

Quoting Emma1918:

She is less then a day old she was born at 433 this morning they told me it would hurt but I just really hurt when feeding her

Quoting KylersMom8-16-7:

How old is baby? Is it only painful when you latch or throughout the feeding? Is there any damage to your nipples? Have you seen a lactation consultant?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:42 PM

no. eventually you wont even feel it at all.

momto1ryen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Agreed, but I would also talk to a lactation consutlant while your there to make sure all your questions are answered and your feeling comfortable with nursing.

Quoting abra:

Exactly.

Quoting Groove:

if you're JUST starting, some discomfort might be expected. your nipples have to get used to being used as a food source. Its NOT normal if you have cracked/bleeding nipples. If that's the case, youtube some different holds and how to latch a baby. Or go to kellymom.

Emma1918
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM
When she first starts eating as she eats she calls asleep

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Is it hurting the entire feeding, or just when baby first latches on?   Latch on pain is normal and it will go away in a couple weeks... but if it hurts the entire time, you need to ask to see the LC and see if baby is latching correctly.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Dec. 3, 2012 at 12:50 PM

A lot of people will tell you that if baby is latched correctly it wont hurt but in my experience it can be pretty painful the first few weeks regardless.  It was really painful for me for the first 3 weeks, I saw two different lactation consultants and they both said her latch looked great.  After week 3 the pain just went away all on it's own and it's been smooth sailing ever since.  I would check with a lactation consultant just to check babies latch, and if all looks good then just hang in there, it will get better.

YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:02 PM
In the very beginning there can be some discomfort. Beyond that; it shouldn't hurt at all. If it does, there may be a latch issue or a tongue or lip tie issue.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)