Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wil it always hurt

Posted by   + Show Post
Will it always hurt to breast feed
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Replies (21-30):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 3, 2012 at 1:41 PM

It never hurt for me some discomfort in the beginning. Maybe you are dealing with latch issues?

stargazerwolf
by Member on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Defintatly hurt me the first week or so just on the latch on and for a few minutes and then it was fine. I think your nipple just has to get strengthend up and my daughters both had super suction it seemed lol, especially when they were really hungry. But after about a week all pain was gone, you may notice eventually that the nipples actually loose feeling and feel stiffer after breastfeeding for awhile. Good luck! It is worth it if you keep it up, I almost gave up right away when I had my first daughter because it hurt so bad at first, with my second I knew what to expect so it was easier. I had just a little big of trouble with my first because she was also tounge tied, which i never had to have fixed but some do so you may look into that if she has trouble latching on. So you know if you didn't, the whole areola needs to go in, not just the nipple, that makes a huge difference!

Emma1918
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Is it okay for her to fall asleep when on the boob
MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:49 PM
Hsve you seen a lactation consultant yet?
kirstina
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM

no it shouldnt hurt at all past the first couple of weeks. Make sure you are latching correctly and that you break the latch and not just pulling baby off.

Emma1918
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM
They gave me a number to call
Emma1918
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
I thought u just take baby off

Quoting kirstina:

no it shouldnt hurt at all past the first couple of weeks. Make sure you are latching correctly and that you break the latch and not just pulling baby off.

Paradys
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Totally normal. As long as the pain is only during initial latch and the restored nursing is comfortable then your all good.
Try to just relax and enjoy the baby, the only thing you need to look at is diaper count. One for eah day of life up to a wk old then 6 or more per day, stress is bad for breastfeeding and baby, drink water, sleep when lo does, and love the cute bundle!
Come see us at the "Breastfeeding Moms" page also lots of great help there too.

Quoting Emma1918:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Paradys
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Totally normal. As long as the pain is only during initial latch and the rest of nursing is comfortable then your all good.
Try to just relax and enjoy the baby, the only thing you need to look at is diaper count. One for eah day of life up to a wk old then 6 or more per day, stress is bad for breastfeeding and baby, drink water, sleep when lo does, and love the cute bundle!
Come see us at the "Breastfeeding Moms" page also lots of great help there too.

Quoting Emma1918:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirstina
by on Dec. 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM

If baby is still sucking and you pull baby off it will hurt. You have to break the latch by inserting your finger in the side of babys mouth. If baby takes themself off thats fine.  

Quoting Emma1918:

I thought u just take baby off

Quoting kirstina:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)