Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What does this sound like to guys? **EDIT-- to ask a question!**

Posted by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM
  • 9 Replies
I have an idea but just wanted to get others opinion.

My youngest daughter is almost 13 months old. She has had a runny nose and a cough for almost 10 weeks. When we went in for her 12 month check up I talked to her doctor about it she said to try Zyrtec for 2 weeks to see if was seasonal allergies (I actually was chalking it up to te constant weather ups and downs we have been having and her teething) So we tried the Zyrtec for 2 weeks and nothing. So we went to the doctors she had a double ear infection. They gave us antibotics for 10 days. The doc said se should start feeling better by the end of the week but she could still have the runny nose through the beginning of the week. We she still has the runny nose so I did an experiment with her Wednesday through today. I gave her no milk at all (besides breastmilk). No runny nose, no cough at all yesterday. I told her teachers at daycare to go ahead and give her milk. When I picked her up I asked how her nose had been today and they said it was pretty runny. So I ask you what does that sound like to you mommy doctors.

Oh we are going back to the doctors on tuesday for an ear recheck and I plan to ask her doctor about this then.

Ok, is there such thing as a milk sensitivity? If so do you think that could be it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
calvinsmommy18
by Nicole on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:24 PM
Could be a mik allergy. Sounds likely. Perhaps they can give you a referal to an allergist for an allergy test
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abra
by Abra on Dec. 7, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Try a natural doctor, instead. Both MDs and homeopaths are trained in totally different ways. If one doesn't have the answer for you, try the other. I hope she feels better soon! \

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Bumping for the morning crew! :-)
preacherskid
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Could be allergy, or coincidence.  Does she have any other signs of dairy allergy- rash, hives, eczema, stomach ordigestive issues, excessive gas or super green bms?  It does not sound like dairy allergy right off to me, because with a dairy allergy it is the proteins the child is allergic to, and those take a few weeks of full elimination to clear the system.  Is there anything she normally eats with her milk?  Any animals or people she normally sees that she didn't see that day?

momma2b2008
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:04 AM
She eats everything except peanut butter. And no pets or people that were different on that day, just milk.

Quoting preacherskid:

Could be allergy, or coincidence.  Does she have any other signs of dairy allergy- rash, hives, eczema, stomach ordigestive issues, excessive gas or super green bms?  It does not sound like dairy allergy right off to me, because with a dairy allergy it is the proteins the child is allergic to, and those take a few weeks of full elimination to clear the system.  Is there anything she normally eats with her milk?  Any animals or people she normally sees that she didn't see that day?

preacherskid
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I would say after trying the Zyrtec, if that didn't work, and if there are no other signs of allergy, a dairy allergy is unlikely; not impossible but unlikely.  With my dd's dairy allergy an anti histamine will lessen or eliminate the symptoms of a reaction.  It could be the weather, I know it really messes up my sinuses when the weather suddenly shifts like it has been,

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM
That screams diary/milk allergy to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 10:26 AM

If your diet isn't dairy free, it's not likely to be a dairy allergy because she would still be getting the proteins from you and in most kids it takes closer to 2 weeks of being dairy free to show symptom relief.

aimesnyc
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

She's 13 months?  She could be getting her 1 year molars.  And as we all know, teething can cause many symptoms, including a runny nose and a cough that is caused by the drainage from said runny nose.

Also, milk helps produce more mucous.  So again, the reason why the snotty nose and cough was reduced the day she was not drinking any milk.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)