Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Why why why do some moms think this is ok???!!!

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM
  • 53 Replies
2 moms liked this
I'm really not trying to be bitchy or judgemental... I'm a mom too... I really get it!

But why why why do some parents (and I use this term very loosely!) see nothing wrong with dragging a toddler to a effing Rated R movie???

Dh and I went xmas shopping and decided my pregnant butt needed a break from the crowds and bustling around.. so we took in Sinister at the cheapo show connected to the back to Target...

Aside from the fact that the atmosphere is completely inappropriate for children let alone those under 2 friggin years old... this wonder of a mother had finally had enough of the whining from her young toddler about 20 minutes in and literally yanked the poor thing up, dragged him in to the hall, and proceeded to start smacking him around (I could hear slapping sounds followed by his whining turning to screaming) and I just sat there bristling and uncomfortable as hell listening to the whole exchange.

I'm wondering why the theater even allows children in a rated r show. So effing stupid.

Now I'm an anti-spanker and this post totally ISNT about spanking at all or how I feel about it... But under what circumstance could even a spanking mother justify behaving this way toward a 16 month old BABY???? She forced him in to an inappropriate enviornment and expected him to effing sit still for almost two hours? What the hell did she expect was going to happen? I wanted to cry and kill this woman all at the same time.

I always mind my own business... always. I am not confrontational whatsoever but this was impossible to ignore and went on for another half hour right outside the door.... you could hear everything and it made me miserable (can't imagine how the poor kid felt) I left the theater in a terrible mood. Thanks jerk.

And I'm just at a loss as to what kind of moron parents would so blatantly and shamelessly treat a baby like shit right out in public.... end rant.

Have you ever witnessed bad parenting so over-the-top ridiculous that you went against your 'mind my own business' instinct and went off on someone? If there was ever a time I wanted to flip the hell out on a bitch... it would have been today.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aimesnyc
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw a woman screaming at her daughter for leaving her jacket somewhere, and I just felt so terrible for the little girl.  I understand being annoyed, but the hate in her voice was evident and heartbreaking.  This old woman who was next to me on the street actually said something to her, and then later on down the sidewalk she looked at me and said something to the effect of "please don't ever treat your son like that." 

So I definitely know how you feel.  I probably would have reported her to management for possible child abuse, though.  Especially if she was yelling and spanking her for half an hour. :(

jhslove
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Wait, so she was smacking her son around for half an hour and no one stepped in? Where was the theater management?

And to answer your question, I have no idea why anyone would think that's okay. That's heartbreaking.

Nolanzo
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I could almost see if she lost her mind once... like I said I do NOT judge those who spank... its a personal choice... but it just went on and on and I'm thinking... lady just take the damn kid home. You're missing the entire movie anyway and you've ruined this childs entire day to boot... put yourself and your child out of your misery and get the hell home. God.

Quoting aimesnyc:

I saw a woman screaming at her daughter for leaving her jacket somewhere, and I just felt so terrible for the little girl.  I understand being annoyed, but the hate in her voice was evident and heartbreaking.  This old woman who was next to me on the street actually said something to her, and then later on down the sidewalk she looked at me and said something to the effect of "please don't ever treat your son like that." 

So I definitely know how you feel.  I probably would have reported her to management for possible child abuse, though.  Especially if she was yelling and spanking her for half an hour. :(

ashleywagoner
by Platinum Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM
Ridiculous and sad! Poor lil thing. :(((
And I am with you...I was pissed when my cousin took her 5 year old to see breaking dawn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nolanzo
by Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:18 PM
Id say it was 20-30 mi utes into the film when she took him in the hall... and stayed out there with him until the movie was almost over.... they were gone by the time the film fin ished.

I wonder if she didn't in fact get removed by the staff... because I was certainly not the only one noticing what was going on which reassured me I wasn't just being hypersensitive or overreacting... plenty of heads in the theater were turning toward the back annd people were making hushed comments after a while... I bet someone left and said something... I hadn't even thought of that till just now.

Quoting jhslove:

Wait, so she was smacking her son around for half an hour and no one stepped in? Where was the theater management?

And to answer your question, I have no idea why anyone would think that's okay. That's heartbreaking.

beautiful.GIRL1
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:23 PM
2 moms liked this
I might stand alone on this one but i dont think its that big of a deal to have a small child in a rated r movie. Unless there is constant nudity or poor language. But some rated r movies arent that bad.

But she shouldnt have hit him for being restless. He is a child, they cant do anything for long periods of time. She should have expected it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I don't understand it myself. I was told by another mom that children need to learn at a young age movies are make-believe and once they know that they should be able to handle anything.

MommyO2-6631
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:44 PM
We never took older ds to a movie until he was older. 5 i think and even then it was a kid movie and if he was getting restless we'd go play a game at the arcade and then come back. We still don't takehave him toto see something we want to see. If me andto dh want to see a non cartoon movie we get a sitter. Kids don't sit still and she should have known that. And in this situation i don't see what spanking accomplished.
Nicki1995
by Silver Member on Dec. 8, 2012 at 9:49 PM
I saw someone spank the heck out of a 15 month old to where it was loud and bright red, possibly bruised too. The baby got spanked because it said "eat eat"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommamaggi
by on Dec. 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM
8 moms liked this

I've called CPS on a woman who was slapping her baby, maybe 10 or 12 months old, at walmart. She wouldn't let him ride in the buggy, but expected him to stay right by her side and touch nothing and walk at her pace, when he would fall back behind her, she would slap him in the head, when he would touch something on a shelf or rack, she would slap him in the head, if he would start to wonder off, she would slap him in the head. A walmart employee and I stayed right behind her till the cops showed up, and as they were approaching her from behind they saaw her slap him so hard he lost his balance and fell down. They confronted her, words were exchanged and she was arrested.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN