Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Rice and formula??

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is 16 days old and her pedi suggested I use rice because she spits up after every feeding and is CONSTANTLY acting hungry...we tried to breastfeed but she tore up my nipples and wasn't getting enough food so now that she has food on demand any little tinge of hunger she freaks. I'm a first time mom so I really don't know much about this stuff but can too much rice hurt her? I accidentally used too much the first time and she ate it all and passed out but I don't want to hurt her. I thought 2 oz was more than 4-5 tbsp so I added 1 1/2 tbsps of rice but then was told rule is 1 teaspoon per oz....please tell me I didn't screw her up...

ETA I had her checked for a lip and tongue tie and was told she doesn't have one apparently she just sucks really hard? I ended up with ulcer sores on both nipples...her pedi told me to add rice...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Replies (11-20):
Slayton723
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:15 AM
I do get wic but my lc is kinda mad at me since my doc told me not to breastfeed anymore cause it was causing too many emotional and physical problems...so she keeps playing phone tag with me and acting like she really doesn't want to talk to me :/ so I have no idea how the wic formula thing works... :( this whole first time has been a huge mess :/

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

The enfamil AR is especially for babies that spit up a lot. Its designed with the rice starch already added. I would look into it. Maybe buy some and try it? Also you shouldn't run into the clogging issue with it. do you get WIC? If so they "should" cover it. Idk. In MI they cover it without a drs note.

Quoting Slayton723:

She is on the enfamil newborn right now but her pedi told me to add gerber rice. Like I said this is my first time...

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Maybe you should try Enfamil AR formula . It already has the rice starch in it. Personally I don't do rice in a bottle and we do very little rice cereal in general.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Slayton723
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM
To be 100% honest I'm kind of scared to try breastfeeding again...it was a really really bad experience for all of us. I appreciate it though! I've tried everything including the paci but there are times she just won't have it...

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Well, if you feel formula is better I'm not one to argue, though I do have breastfeeding advice lol

Maybe cut back on how much she gets at a time. Like, if you're giving her 3 oz, try 2.5. It might make her eat more often, but if she eats too much she spits it up, that might help a little.

Quoting Slayton723:

I was told no to both that she was just a hard sucker? She is awake while eating I meant she passed out after eating while I was burping her. We tried breastfeeding but I ended up with ulcer sores on my nipples and I'm also taking anti depressants so formula is better in this situation...but her pedi is the one who suggested rice if she kept spitting the food back up. Its not reflux its she eats so much she spits it back up.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Does she have a lip or tounge tie? That may be why she was having trouble breastfeeding,

If she's spitting up after every feeding, it could be reflux.

Rice ceral in a bottle is an extrememly dangerous chocking hazard.

Babies are supposed to wake up to eat. Among other things, it's a defense against SIDS.

Their bodies are not ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula until 6 months old.

That being said, I doubt you screwed her up. Just don't give her anything except breastmilk or formula from now on. Breastmilk would be better to help her gut (if you google "virgin gut" you'll get some good explainations). And I'm sure you could go back to breastfeeding, if you wanted, just get her checked for a lip or tounge tie.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM
Try a say formula. She could be sensitive to dairy protein.

Also, adding rice ever (especially at 16 days!!) seems outrageous to me. I would consider looking for a second opinion- visit a different pedi for her next appointment.

If you are interested in breast feeding the group on here or a local la leche league might be able to hell you. Good luck and congratulations on your new little girl:)
bloomsr
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM
**soy
Slayton723
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM
I do all of that and she still does this. I feed her 2-3 oz every hr and a half and she's freaking out when she gets it.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Then don't let her.   Slow, slow, slow nipples... stop to burp every half oz and take a break, offer the paci after she's done with a small bottle and then comfort her in other ways.   Be sure to feed her frequently so that she's not starving come time to eat.  

Quoting Slayton723:

I was told no to both that she was just a hard sucker? She is awake while eating I meant she passed out after eating while I was burping her. We tried breastfeeding but I ended up with ulcer sores on my nipples and I'm also taking anti depressants so formula is better in this situation...but her pedi is the one who suggested rice if she kept spitting the food back up. Its not reflux its she eats so much she spits it back up.

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Does she have a lip or tounge tie? That may be why she was having trouble breastfeeding,

Babies are supposed to wake up to eat. Among other things, it's a defense against SIDS.

Their bodies are not ready for anything other than breastmilk or formula until 6 months old.

That being said, I doubt you screwed her up. Just don't give her anything except breastmilk or formula from now on. Breastmilk would be better to help her gut (if you google "virgin gut" you'll get some good explainations). And I'm sure you could go back to breastfeeding, if you wanted, just get her checked for a lip or tounge tie.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NowImAMom...
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM

I wish I could help. The first few months are definitely rough getting into a routine with baby
(it's my first time, too) but you'll get the hang of it! If you ever want to talk, shoot me a message[=

Quoting Slayton723:

To be 100% honest I'm kind of scared to try breastfeeding again...it was a really really bad experience for all of us. I appreciate it though! I've tried everything including the paci but there are times she just won't have it...

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Well, if you feel formula is better I'm not one to argue, though I do have breastfeeding advice lol

Maybe cut back on how much she gets at a time. Like, if you're giving her 3 oz, try 2.5. It might make her eat more often, but if she eats too much she spits it up, that might help a little.

Quoting Slayton723:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

CafeMom Tickers
TheBabyFactory4
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM
If you really want to bf i would recommend heading over to the bf group. Those ladies can really help you. I would personally never give cereal.to a baby that young no matter what a Dr says. Especially if she's spitting up and all
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
CutieCrab
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:25 AM
Usually I say rice in a bottle is a no no, but if your pedi.said do it, then do it. He knows best.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:28 AM
Maybe when you guys get an appointment you can ask about Enfamil AR or Enfamil Prosobee soy. My kids were both on the soy. Ds probably didn't need it but dd was a spitter upper. Dr said it was normal for her to spit up some. She spit up often but it wasn't a large amount. And now at 10 months she rarely spits up. I absolutely love my dds dr too. She's never led me wrong.

Quoting Slayton723:

I do get wic but my lc is kinda mad at me since my doc told me not to breastfeed anymore cause it was causing too many emotional and physical problems...so she keeps playing phone tag with me and acting like she really doesn't want to talk to me :/ so I have no idea how the wic formula thing works... :( this whole first time has been a huge mess :/

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

The enfamil AR is especially for babies that spit up a lot. Its designed with the rice starch already added. I would look into it. Maybe buy some and try it? Also you shouldn't run into the clogging issue with it. do you get WIC? If so they "should" cover it. Idk. In MI they cover it without a drs note.

Quoting Slayton723:

She is on the enfamil newborn right now but her pedi told me to add gerber rice. Like I said this is my first time...

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Maybe you should try Enfamil AR formula . It already has the rice starch in it. Personally I don't do rice in a bottle and we do very little rice cereal in general.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Slayton723
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you :) I really appreciate it!

Quoting NowImAMom...:

I wish I could help. The first few months are definitely rough getting into a routine with baby
(it's my first time, too) but you'll get the hang of it! If you ever want to talk, shoot me a message[=

Quoting Slayton723:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Quoting Slayton723:

Quoting NowImAMom...:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN