Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Rice and formula??

Posted by   + Show Post
My daughter is 16 days old and her pedi suggested I use rice because she spits up after every feeding and is CONSTANTLY acting hungry...we tried to breastfeed but she tore up my nipples and wasn't getting enough food so now that she has food on demand any little tinge of hunger she freaks. I'm a first time mom so I really don't know much about this stuff but can too much rice hurt her? I accidentally used too much the first time and she ate it all and passed out but I don't want to hurt her. I thought 2 oz was more than 4-5 tbsp so I added 1 1/2 tbsps of rice but then was told rule is 1 teaspoon per oz....please tell me I didn't screw her up...

ETA I had her checked for a lip and tongue tie and was told she doesn't have one apparently she just sucks really hard? I ended up with ulcer sores on both nipples...her pedi told me to add rice...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 12:42 AM
Replies (21-21):
rwebb11
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 6:08 AM
Unfortunately babies will spit up, I wouldn't worry too much about the spitting up. You know your baby the best, but make sure you aren't confusing hunger with sleepiness or colic or something else wrong. Sometimes babies just cry and need comfort at that age. If you are over feeding your baby that could be a good part of the problem. At that age, my son was eating a 3 oz bottle every 2-3 hours and went up to 4 oz at 3 or 4 weeks. (I do realize every baby is different with feedings schedules though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)