Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

No Judgements please... but I need some help

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM
  • 21 Replies

Ok so my little one is 5 weeks old and I stopped bf about 2 days ago (personal reasons, please no judgemen s) my boobs are huge and engorged and does anyone know how long it will take for my milk to dry up? or does anyone have a quicker solution to getting the milk to dry up?

by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
victoriaherring
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM
I've heard putting lettuce leaves in your bra helps. The coolness is what helps. Maybe someone else has more help.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Try cabbage leaves in your bra
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BlissBagshaw
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I waited it out when I stopped bf'ing my son.  Took less than a week for the engorgement to go away, *but* you can leak for up to a year after.  

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM
1 mom liked this
The safest way to wean from breast is to drop one feeding per week until all gone. If you insist on not nursing, hand express just enough to take the edge off every so often. Hormonal birth control, decongestants, cold cabbage leaves, "No More Milk" tea all help to dry up. Stopping cold turkey puts you at a huge risk for clogged ducts and mastitis (breast infection).
Are you sure you don't want to breastfeed? No judgement mama, it's just that alot of women regret stopping, and there are many here who can help you if you need/want it. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM
Cabbage leaves, not lettuce:) pump or let your baby sucke just enough to relieve engorgement and your supply will decrease.

You've made it 5 weeks bf!! The first 6 weeks are the hardest- you are soooo close to turning the corner and starting to get a break w nursing (not bashing- just letting you know of you're needing encouragement:)
ladybugchar
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM
I just took hot showers. It helps have a letdown and takes the edge off.
mcr17
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Cabbage leaves

Quoting victoriaherring:

I've heard putting lettuce leaves in your bra helps. The coolness is what helps. Maybe someone else has more help.
stargazerwolf
by Member on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

I would pump enough to take the pain out, or hand express if you don't have a pump. Then I'd also save what I did get out for future use in breastmilk bags in the freezer. It will take a bit and hurt for awhile but mine actually dried up rather quickly after I completely stopped, then again I had started giving her a bottle a feeding here and there to gradually get her onto formula when I went to work and so I wouldn't be producing as much milk.

raehalstead
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

yes im sure i want to stop. I didn't stop completely cold turkey. About a week ago I stopped nursing and was only pumping and each day I lessened the feedings. I know thats not enough time but now Im done completely, thank you for you post

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

The safest way to wean from breast is to drop one feeding per week until all gone. If you insist on not nursing, hand express just enough to take the edge off every so often. Hormonal birth control, decongestants, cold cabbage leaves, "No More Milk" tea all help to dry up. Stopping cold turkey puts you at a huge risk for clogged ducts and mastitis (breast infection).
Are you sure you don't want to breastfeed? No judgement mama, it's just that alot of women regret stopping, and there are many here who can help you if you need/want it. :)

raehalstead
by on Dec. 9, 2012 at 9:47 PM

thank u

Quoting bloomsr:

Cabbage leaves, not lettuce:) pump or let your baby sucke just enough to relieve engorgement and your supply will decrease.

You've made it 5 weeks bf!! The first 6 weeks are the hardest- you are soooo close to turning the corner and starting to get a break w nursing (not bashing- just letting you know of you're needing encouragement:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN