Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Switching to toddler bed

Posted by   + Show Post
When do I switch my son to a toddler bed? He is starting to climb on things, so I'm afraid he will start to climb out of his crib, but he is only 9 months old and I feel this is too young. Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
momofsunshine77
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

i switched at 18 and 17 months for my 2 daughters. 

kirstina
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I would wait until he climbs out of the crib. 9 months is to young and you have to worry about them getting into thing while your sleeping.

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM
I switched ds to a toddler bed at 9 months. The crib was just becoming a pain for df and I. He never tried climbing out of it though.
YzmaRocks
by Platinum Member on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I switched my last two kids to a regular bed at 14 months. Maybe try a mattress on the ground first? That way he can get out without falling.
Megan11587
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:25 PM

That's a good idea.  I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks, and once he looks like he's trying to get out, I'll switch.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

I switched my last two kids to a regular bed at 14 months. Maybe try a mattress on the ground first? That way he can get out without falling.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM
Both my boys started climbing young like that but the crib is different. You should be fine for a while. My oldest didn't get out of his crib till almost 3 years old and my 17 month old is still in his crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM
He probably won't try climbing for a while. I know every kid is different but climbing on furniture and stuff doesn't necessarily mean that he will climb out of the crib. I personally would make the switch until he actually climbs out.

Quoting Megan11587:

That's a good idea.  I think I'm going to wait a few more weeks, and once he looks like he's trying to get out, I'll switch.

Quoting YzmaRocks:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Okay, thanks!  This is my first, can you tell? :)

Quoting expectantmom81:

He probably won't try climbing for a while. I know every kid is different but climbing on furniture and stuff doesn't necessarily mean that he will climb out of the crib. I personally would make the switch until he actually climbs out.

Quoting Megan11587:

Quoting YzmaRocks:

gamelas
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM
We move straight to regular beds at three
abra
by Abra on Dec. 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM
I switched my kids between 18 and 24 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)