Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Switching to toddler bed

Posted by   + Show Post
When do I switch my son to a toddler bed? He is starting to climb on things, so I'm afraid he will start to climb out of his crib, but he is only 9 months old and I feel this is too young. Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Replies (21-30):
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Dec. 10, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I switch between 18 months and 2

mommyhonu
by Mary on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:51 AM

we never used a toddler bed ... all of ours went straight to a twin size bed.

GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:57 AM

My second switched at 9 months. She was walking at 8 months and could climb on and off and out of anything by 9 months. Since she was still little we did a toddler bed for her. My first was a year old and if I'd been able to I'd have just gotten a twin bed but a toddler bed was a lot cheaper. :-)

kmorales7690
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Once my oldest started walking! We found out I was pregnant around that time lol but put my younges in a toddler bed once she can walk too,cribs are a pain in the butt to me lol
bookjunkie1214
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 7:50 AM

both my kids went to toddle beds at that age no worries

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:02 AM

When he can climb OUT of his crib.  Our daughter was around 15-17mos.  We skipped the toddler bed and went straight to the twin bed (just put up the bed rails on the side b/c she's a wiggler).  Now, my nephew was in a toddler bed by age 12mos b/c he is a super climber!  Just depends on the child.........

JoeyJrsMomma
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM

We waited until they could actually climb out of their crib. My oldest was 19 months and my youngest turns 19 months today and is still in his crib. He's a climber but has no interest in climbing out of his crib.

BrittM1988
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:04 AM
I switched my daughter at 28 months old(2 nights ago actually)
leinaala09
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:27 AM
we switched our daughter to a twin bed around 18 months. she has done great with it thus far! she wasn't climbing out of her crib yet, she was just too big. she has always been 99 percentile on height. she also has a toddler bed at her grandparents house 4 hours away (we visit them every few weeks) and we seem to have many issues with her falling out of that bed because it is smaller. she has a railing on her twin bed at home and we have yet to have issues with her falling out. she did well with the transition also. no issues with her playing with toys at night. :)
lbragg2005
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:30 AM
Both my kiddos never tried climbing out of the crib. I switched them to toddler beds at the age of 2.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)