Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Switching to toddler bed

Posted by   + Show Post
When do I switch my son to a toddler bed? He is starting to climb on things, so I'm afraid he will start to climb out of his crib, but he is only 9 months old and I feel this is too young. Thoughts?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 10, 2012 at 7:17 AM
Replies (31-35):
PrincessDoctor
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I forget how old mine was when she climbed out and went head first over the side.  We converted her crib to a toddler bed but for her it was too early.  She screamed and cried and carried on and was terrified that we had destroyed her safe little bubble.  She'd say, "No scary bed!"  Then, we ended up finding a canopy type thing to put over the top.  That was our answer until I learned the item had been recalled because it could invert and suffocate a child.  We of course got rid of that. She never tried to climb out again and then a few months later we converted the crib back to a toddler bed.  That time, she was ready. 

To decide if your little one is ready for a toddler bed ask yourself:

Can he get safely up and down on his own?

Do you have the room baby proofed (things off of low shelves and locks for cabinets, closets, and drawers if needed, are wipes, medications,  and creams stored somewhere the baby can't get to them)?

Do you need a baby gate to prevent him from leaving the room if he gets up during the night?

Your answers can help you decide if your little one (and you :-) ) are ready for this next milestone.  Fun stuff!  Good luck!!!!

Megan11587
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Thanks!  The room is baby proof and it has a door.  I may try having him sleep on the mattress on the floor before I take down the crib just to see how he does.

Quoting PrincessDoctor:

I forget how old mine was when she climbed out and went head first over the side.  We converted her crib to a toddler bed but for her it was too early.  She screamed and cried and carried on and was terrified that we had destroyed her safe little bubble.  She'd say, "No scary bed!"  Then, we ended up finding a canopy type thing to put over the top.  That was our answer until I learned the item had been recalled because it could invert and suffocate a child.  We of course got rid of that. She never tried to climb out again and then a few months later we converted the crib back to a toddler bed.  That time, she was ready. 

To decide if your little one is ready for a toddler bed ask yourself:

Can he get safely up and down on his own?

Do you have the room baby proofed (things off of low shelves and locks for cabinets, closets, and drawers if needed, are wipes, medications,  and creams stored somewhere the baby can't get to them)?

Do you need a baby gate to prevent him from leaving the room if he gets up during the night?

Your answers can help you decide if your little one (and you :-) ) are ready for this next milestone.  Fun stuff!  Good luck!!!!

viasacra18
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:48 AM
We didn't switch my son till three but he could climb out of his since he was one so we made it easier for him to get out when he wanted and safely put things around the bed and whatnot..I wouldn't switch yet 9 months I think is to young they don't understand that they sometimes need to stay in bed even when they don't want too! Have you lowered your crib all the way? My son never got hurt climbing out!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PrincessDoctor
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Quoting Megan11587:

Thanks!  The room is baby proof and it has a door.  I may try having him sleep on the mattress on the floor before I take down the crib just to see how he does.

we thought the door would be good enough but once our little girl could get out of bed, the door had to be open and that meant we needed a baby gate.  Also, we have a two story house and the stairs are right outside her door. :-)

Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM
We took DD's crib side off and sidecarred it to our bed. It's more like a day bed now and she loves it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN