Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

What does Christmas mean to you???

Posted by   + Show Post
And what do you teach your LO's about Christmas?

We believe its Jesus's Birthday. We tell our kids the bible story of Jesus's birth and that we give gifts to each other because can't give them to Jesus like the wisemen did. We also make him a cake and sing Happy Birthday to him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
erikays
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Christmas means family to us and Santa visiting. We are far from religious.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Jesus's Birth is our main tradition for Christmas too!

Quoting Turtledoves:

We keep the traditional, religious meaning to Christmas above all else - Jesus's birth. We even do the version where Santa gives gifts to honor Jesus, and have a statue of Santa kneeling down next to baby Jesus in the manger.

Here Christmas is also a big deal with gifts. We go all out, because we don't usually do gifts except on holidays. But we always make sure that religious traditions and the real reason for Christmas comes first.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:42 PM
Could you try showing him the spirit of giving by talking him into giving his old stuff to the less fortunate to make room for new stuff! It's never to late to teach him the true meaning (Jesus's Birth) of Christmas. GOod luck!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I'm making Jesus a birthday cake this year. Ds1 grandparents have taught him that Chrostmas means everyone gives me presents and if they don't they don't love me... i swear if murder was legal! Anyways he's 7 so i think it's past rime to teach him the true meaning of Christmas. The birth of Jesus, family togetherness, kindness, and giving! That's what it means to me

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:44 PM
But the 25th is when it's celebrated. Please just tell what items to you do not demean someone else's. Thank you!

Quoting mcr17:

December 25th is not when the birth of jesus took place. It was moved to coincide.

Quoting Turtledoves:

We keep the traditional, religious meaning to Christmas above all else - Jesus's birth. We even do the version where Santa gives gifts to honor Jesus, and have a statue of Santa kneeling down next to baby Jesus in the manger.

Here Christmas is also a big deal with gifts. We go all out, because we don't usually do gifts except on holidays. But we always make sure that religious traditions and the real reason for Christmas comes first.

NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:46 PM
No judgment here, you are entitled to your beliefs. :-) I just thought this would be a fun post.

Quoting erikays:

Christmas means family to us and Santa visiting. We are far from religious.

mama2my2boys
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:07 PM
it did mean family to me but my family is so broken up it aint funny!....my dh hates christmas (had a bad childhood, his mom would show him things she was going to get him but couldnt) (on xmas morning!) so he hates christmas which is making me not like it either....being happy (fake) around "family" ......so yea if it wasnt for my kids we wouldnt do it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Awe I'm so sorry! Maybe starting new different traditions might help.

Quoting mama2my2boys:

it did mean family to me but my family is so broken up it aint funny!....my dh hates christmas (had a bad childhood, his mom would show him things she was going to get him but couldnt) (on xmas morning!) so he hates christmas which is making me not like it either....being happy (fake) around "family" ......so yea if it wasnt for my kids we wouldnt do it

calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Idk. I'm not even excited about Christmas. A lot of you said it means being with your families and for the 2nd year in a row I don't get a Christmass with my family. I have to work Christmas Eve and that's when my family celebrates. So I miss it. I get Christmas with my inlaws but I'm still pretty pissed about the situation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NicLof2
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Can I ask why they celebrate ut on Christmas eve? Can they do it on Christmas since you gave to work? I'm sorry! I do understand this is our 3rd Christmas without my eldest son for Christmas and all the holidays. :-(

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Idk. I'm not even excited about Christmas. A lot of you said it means being with your families and for the 2nd year in a row I don't get a Christmass with my family. I have to work Christmas Eve and that's when my family celebrates. So I miss it. I get Christmas with my inlaws but I'm still pretty pissed about the situation.

calvinsmommy18
by on Dec. 12, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Christmas day is reserved for the inlaws and Christmas Eve is my parents. Its just been that way since dh and I have been together. This is our 7th Christmas together. My parents go to my cousins house an hour away for Christmas day. My mom said something about maybe doing it the 23rd but I work til 630pm that day so idk if my dad decided they will have it at 730 for me or what. Either way its just not the same and it alters my mood. I told them I have to day after Christmas off too but that's just not the same either. I asked for Christmas Eve off but it got denied and people that didn't even ask for it got it off. For next yr I'm putting the request in for it off in January so they can't say I didn't give enough notice. Which I did give enough notice this yr too but they don't care. And if I call in ill get a write up and no holiday pay.

Quoting NicLof2:

Can I ask why they celebrate ut on Christmas eve? Can they do it on Christmas since you gave to work? I'm sorry! I do understand this is our 3rd Christmas without my eldest son for Christmas and all the holidays. :-(

Quoting calvinsmommy18:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN