Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

sick baby help!

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM
  • 9 Replies
So Aiden is 5.5 months now. Yesterday he developed a runny nose. Not bad. Still happy. No fever. Last night he could hardly sleep though. We were up and down about every hour. Now he's really cranky. His nose still sounds snorkley. He's coughed a few times. Still no fever. Is he still at the age where i need to take him to the dr everytime he gets sick? Will they do an rsv test if we go? My first had rsv at 2 months so that's always a worry for me. I've been using breastmilk for stuffiness with an occassional suction (it makes his nose bleed if i do it too much). I gave him tylenol last night to see if he was achey reason he couldn't sleep and i kept his head elevated. What should i do ladies?!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:32 AM
No you don't need to go to the doctor for a stuffy nose.

It sounds like you're doing all you can: saline (or breastmilk), suction, elevate the head. You could also put a humidifier in hisroom and/or get the bathroom really steamy and go in there for awhile with him.

Try not to worry, stuffy noses happen. It's not a big deal, just annoying when it messes with their sleep!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emkirkley
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

you're doing it all, without a fever I wouldn't take him in to expose him to everything the other sick kids have there, but that choice is yours.  You might call and see if RSV is very prevalent right now or not though.

proudMom2634
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM

runny nose? He will be feverish in time so give him medicine for it. Does the suction or saline solution work for you? I had used it before and it didn't work fine as it should be and I have read some risk for using it. Using a humidifier or warming the sorrounding will surely help clear his nose.

Living is good, but being a Mom is even better!!  

bec94
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Try a Humidifier and baby Vicks. That usually helped mine. Even now at 5 & 3, and even myself it helps.
abra
by Abra on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:11 PM
I agree. And also try a humidifier and rub baby vicks on his feet and then put socks on him to help with congestion. I hope he feels better soon!

Quoting emkirkley:

you're doing it all, without a fever I wouldn't take him in to expose him to everything the other sick kids have there, but that choice is yours.  You might call and see if RSV is very prevalent right now or not though.

aimesnyc
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:18 PM

What everyone said above.  It could be teething.

expectantmom81
by Erin on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM
As long as he can breathe well enough and get fluids with no fever you should be just fine but pay attention to those things cause if a fever starts or he won't take fluids then you have to call.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angela.bouchard
by Angela on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:29 PM
This. Humidifiers work wonders :-)

Quoting larissalarie:

No you don't need to go to the doctor for a stuffy nose.

It sounds like you're doing all you can: saline (or breastmilk), suction, elevate the head. You could also put a humidifier in hisroom and/or get the bathroom really steamy and go in there for awhile with him.

Try not to worry, stuffy noses happen. It's not a big deal, just annoying when it messes with their sleep!
Turtledoves
by Ruby Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:49 PM
No need to take him in. If he's stuffy or looks like he has a lot coming out, take him in the bathroom and hold him outside of a steamy shower. It'll help clear him out faster and breathe easier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)