Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Babies Babies

Should Daddy be waking up with Baby at night also?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM
  • 86 Replies
1 mom liked this

My little boy is 5 months old now and for the past 5 months I've had the luxury of being a stay-at-home-mom.

My son still wakes up about 3-4 times a night (some times more) and, since my husband works 10 hours a day at a mentally exhausting job, I have always gotten up with the baby every single time every single night.

But, I feel like, being a stay-at-home-mom is just as physically and mentally exhausting as his job except it's not just 10 hours a day, it's 24. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's time my Husband starts waking up with the baby from time to time so that I can finally get some rest. I'm wondering if that sounds reasonable? And if so, is there a nonabrasive way to talk to him about it?

by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
robibuni
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Well, is your baby BF or FF?

If FF, would it be possible for him to get up on weekend nights with the baby? DD1 was FF and DH would take care of her on weekend nights to let me get some sleep, that way he still got sleep during the week for work, and I was able to catch up a little.

Now with DD2, I'm BF and I'm the only person who can get up with her...in the beginning it wasn't fun, but now that she's older, we cosleep so we can both get more rest.

mandapanda82
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
Omg, I'm totally there with ya. I'm a SAHM also, my dd has how own business so he's busy. BUT...., why can't they at least do it on the weekends??!!! The only way he ever offers is if I bitch about it. Well, I'm getting fed up! And my dd is only 14 wks, so I will have many days ahead of me of waking up in the middle of night. I just dintbthink it's fair! Even with my first dd, I was working at 5 am and was STILL getting up with her EVERY night!!! Wtf?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MissBee7
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Well, I feel bad asking him to wake up with him on weekends because those are the only days HE gets to catch up on his sleep.

larissalarie
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I've always gotten up with my children even when I worked full time. I wouldn't dream of having my husband do it now that I stay home.
However that's between you and him. I've never understood why people think staying home with children is so difficult, especially with only 1. If you're tired you can nap when the baby does, your husband probably can't nap at work.
Maybe ask him about taking over weekends or at least splitting them with you? Them you each get 1 night "off"? (you from getting up with baby and him from getting up for work)
Either way, try not to worry, it really doesn't last that long in the bigger picture :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Megan11587
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Mine does. Before my son was sleeping through the night, we did shifts. If he woke up before 1:30, it was his turn, after 1:30, it was mine.  It worked for us because I go to bed pretty early, and he's usually up until at least 11, so I got a few hours of sleep in, then after 1:30, he got his sleep.

babygomez
by April on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My kids don't wake up in the middle of the night. If they did, I wouldn't mind being the one to get up with them, as I am a stay at home mom.

kaybri2012
by Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM
my husband helps feed him during the nights on weekends, and sometimes before he goes to work
nellyb118
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I have never asked dh to get up because I bf and also because I could nap when baby does if I am that tired.  Occassionally we will switch up on weekends...he lets me sleep in one day & I let him the next. So we both get a chance to catch up on sleep.

lulu9209479
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM
So does mine, he usually does the first feeding and I do the second, I think it's only fair. And being home with a baby all day is exhausting, both physically and mentally. I work but only part time. When my dh is home, he helps out as much as he can

Quoting Megan11587:

Mine does. Before my son was sleeping through the night, we did shifts. If he woke up before 1:30, it was his turn, after 1:30, it was mine.  It worked for us because I go to bed pretty early, and he's usually up until at least 11, so I got a few hours of sleep in, then after 1:30, he got his sleep.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandapanda82
by on Dec. 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM
That's a good strategy!

Quoting Megan11587:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)